DistractionWhat’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?
Top Christian Music Videos
Rescued From Darkness
In this way, He disarmed the spiritual rulers and authorities. He shamed them publicly by His victory over them on the cross (v.15).
In Clint Eastwood’s movie Gran Torino, Walt Kowalski is a cranky Korean War vet disgusted by the gangs now running his neighborhood. He gets to know Thao, a teenager living next door, after catching him trying to steal his Gran Torino car—an act forced onto the young man by a local gang.
Thao had no future due to the gangs. Either they would coax him into joining them or destroy him for resisting. So Walt decided to deal with them himself, beating one of the gang leaders to a pulp. The strategy backfired, for Thao’s sister was brutally raped in a retaliatory attack.
After deep reflection, Walt realized another approach was needed. Walt walked to the gang’s house one evening. The thugs aimed their guns at him as he slowly reached into his coat. And then, Walt ripped his hand from his jacket—prompting a shower of gunfire from the gang members. His body was riddled with bullets as he fell to the ground. And there he lay, his arms outstretched in a cross-like fashion, with a cigarette lighter in his hand rather than a gun. The police arrived and the gang was arrested. Thao was saved from their tyranny.
Gran Torinovividly portrays one aspect of the cross. Like Thao, we were at the mercy of evil forces (Ephesians 6:12). But when Jesus sacrificed Himself for us, those powers were disarmed and arrested—releasing us from their grip (Colossians 1:13). Jesus didn’t free us by retaliating against evil, but by submitting to it in our place—and then rising in triumph “from the dead” (Acts 3:15).
Walt Kowalski was no Christ figure. He was an aggressive, vulgar racist who needed his own redemption from guilt. But Walt’s act reflects what the sinless Jesus did for us on the cross—rescuing us from the dominion of darkness.
From what evil “powers” do we need Jesus’ rescue today? How have you submitted to Jesus’ power?
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more
- Shared Responsibility - Have you ever apologized for the actions of someone else?...read more
- How Much God Loves You - What prevents you from accepting God’s love?...read more