Laying Our Lives DownHow has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?
Top Music Videos
Rescued From Darkness
In this way, He disarmed the spiritual rulers and authorities. He shamed them publicly by His victory over them on the cross (v.15).
In Clint Eastwood’s movie Gran Torino, Walt Kowalski is a cranky Korean War vet disgusted by the gangs now running his neighborhood. He gets to know Thao, a teenager living next door, after catching him trying to steal his Gran Torino car—an act forced onto the young man by a local gang.
Thao had no future due to the gangs. Either they would coax him into joining them or destroy him for resisting. So Walt decided to deal with them himself, beating one of the gang leaders to a pulp. The strategy backfired, for Thao’s sister was brutally raped in a retaliatory attack.
After deep reflection, Walt realized another approach was needed. Walt walked to the gang’s house one evening. The thugs aimed their guns at him as he slowly reached into his coat. And then, Walt ripped his hand from his jacket—prompting a shower of gunfire from the gang members. His body was riddled with bullets as he fell to the ground. And there he lay, his arms outstretched in a cross-like fashion, with a cigarette lighter in his hand rather than a gun. The police arrived and the gang was arrested. Thao was saved from their tyranny.
Gran Torinovividly portrays one aspect of the cross. Like Thao, we were at the mercy of evil forces (Ephesians 6:12). But when Jesus sacrificed Himself for us, those powers were disarmed and arrested—releasing us from their grip (Colossians 1:13). Jesus didn’t free us by retaliating against evil, but by submitting to it in our place—and then rising in triumph “from the dead” (Acts 3:15).
Walt Kowalski was no Christ figure. He was an aggressive, vulgar racist who needed his own redemption from guilt. But Walt’s act reflects what the sinless Jesus did for us on the cross—rescuing us from the dominion of darkness.
From what evil “powers” do we need Jesus’ rescue today? How have you submitted to Jesus’ power?
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more