Genuine LoveHow have you experienced the reality of God’s love?
Top Music Videos
I tell you not to worry about everyday life (v.25).
I chatted with a close friend while standing in line
at a local coffeehouse. But then a sliver of worry
pierced the moment. It had been several hours since
I left home. I wondered if I had been away too long. I
pictured my kids wailing and unhappy. The “what ifs”
started rolling. Seconds later, I spotted a sign above the
cash register. It read: Worry Is a Misuse of Imagination.
I had to agree. Worry sometimes involves dreaming up
problems that may never exist. It also includes legitimate
concerns over trouble in daily life. Jesus said, however,
“[Don’t] worry about everyday life—whether you have
enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear”
We’re not supposed to lose sleep over those things
because fretting won’t fix our problems. It’s ineffective.
To emphasize this point, Jesus asked a question: “Can
all your worries add a single moment to your life?”
(v.27). Personalizing Jesus’ question may help us avoid
wasting our time with worry. Consider these questions:
If I stew about being single, will I meet Mr. Right? If I’m
preoccupied with getting pregnant, will we conceive? If I
worry about finding work, will I get a job?
Jesus assures us that worrying won’t work, but faith
can move mountains (Matthew 17:20). Speaking to
nail-biters like myself, He inquired, “Why do you have so
little faith?” (6:30). It’s a good question. As Christians we
have already learned to trust God for our salvation, and
evidence of His provision in the here-and-now is all around us, for He faithfully
clothes the flowers and feeds the birds.
Since God provides for the fragile and fleeting parts of His creation, we don’t
have to waste our brainwaves on worry. Instead, we can give all our concerns to
God, because He cares for us (1 Peter 1:7).
Why is it impossible for worry and faith to coexist in the heart of a believer?
How does worrying affect our relationship with God?
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more
- Hope Awakening - Do you tend to see the glass as half empty or half full?...read more
- Life and Loss - Where are you going with your pain?...read more