"Brutiful"How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?
Top Music Videos
I tell you not to worry about everyday life (v.25).
I chatted with a close friend while standing in line
at a local coffeehouse. But then a sliver of worry
pierced the moment. It had been several hours since
I left home. I wondered if I had been away too long. I
pictured my kids wailing and unhappy. The “what ifs”
started rolling. Seconds later, I spotted a sign above the
cash register. It read: Worry Is a Misuse of Imagination.
I had to agree. Worry sometimes involves dreaming up
problems that may never exist. It also includes legitimate
concerns over trouble in daily life. Jesus said, however,
“[Don’t] worry about everyday life—whether you have
enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear”
We’re not supposed to lose sleep over those things
because fretting won’t fix our problems. It’s ineffective.
To emphasize this point, Jesus asked a question: “Can
all your worries add a single moment to your life?”
(v.27). Personalizing Jesus’ question may help us avoid
wasting our time with worry. Consider these questions:
If I stew about being single, will I meet Mr. Right? If I’m
preoccupied with getting pregnant, will we conceive? If I
worry about finding work, will I get a job?
Jesus assures us that worrying won’t work, but faith
can move mountains (Matthew 17:20). Speaking to
nail-biters like myself, He inquired, “Why do you have so
little faith?” (6:30). It’s a good question. As Christians we
have already learned to trust God for our salvation, and
evidence of His provision in the here-and-now is all around us, for He faithfully
clothes the flowers and feeds the birds.
Since God provides for the fragile and fleeting parts of His creation, we don’t
have to waste our brainwaves on worry. Instead, we can give all our concerns to
God, because He cares for us (1 Peter 1:7).
Why is it impossible for worry and faith to coexist in the heart of a believer?
How does worrying affect our relationship with God?
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more