Sacrificial LoveWhat does it mean for you to carry your cross?
Top Christian Music Videos
I tell you not to worry about everyday life (v.25).
I chatted with a close friend while standing in line
at a local coffeehouse. But then a sliver of worry
pierced the moment. It had been several hours since
I left home. I wondered if I had been away too long. I
pictured my kids wailing and unhappy. The “what ifs”
started rolling. Seconds later, I spotted a sign above the
cash register. It read: Worry Is a Misuse of Imagination.
I had to agree. Worry sometimes involves dreaming up
problems that may never exist. It also includes legitimate
concerns over trouble in daily life. Jesus said, however,
“[Don’t] worry about everyday life—whether you have
enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear”
We’re not supposed to lose sleep over those things
because fretting won’t fix our problems. It’s ineffective.
To emphasize this point, Jesus asked a question: “Can
all your worries add a single moment to your life?”
(v.27). Personalizing Jesus’ question may help us avoid
wasting our time with worry. Consider these questions:
If I stew about being single, will I meet Mr. Right? If I’m
preoccupied with getting pregnant, will we conceive? If I
worry about finding work, will I get a job?
Jesus assures us that worrying won’t work, but faith
can move mountains (Matthew 17:20). Speaking to
nail-biters like myself, He inquired, “Why do you have so
little faith?” (6:30). It’s a good question. As Christians we
have already learned to trust God for our salvation, and
evidence of His provision in the here-and-now is all around us, for He faithfully
clothes the flowers and feeds the birds.
Since God provides for the fragile and fleeting parts of His creation, we don’t
have to waste our brainwaves on worry. Instead, we can give all our concerns to
God, because He cares for us (1 Peter 1:7).
Why is it impossible for worry and faith to coexist in the heart of a believer?
How does worrying affect our relationship with God?
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more