WashedIn what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?
Top Music Videos
The story is told of an unmarried (and childless) professor of child psychology who taught a seminar that he confidently called, "Ten Commandments for Parents." Then he got married and became a father. After a year of fatherhood, he changed the seminar title to "Ten Guidelines for Parents." Three years later, a second child came. The seminar was once again renamed: "Some Suggestions to Parents." After his third son was born, the professor stopped teaching the seminar altogether.
God didn't give us children then leave us with no direction as to what to teach them. The foundation of being a good parent begins long before we actually become one (Deuteronomy 6:1-5). We begin by loving and fearing God (v.5) and by wholeheartedly obeying His commands (v.6). God has made the family home the place for teaching His Word. You're to "repeat [God's Word] again and again to your children" (v.7). More than just teaching the Bible to children, parents are to live out its truth before their kids (vv.7-9).
If we don't know God's Word (Deuteronomy 17:19, 31:12-13), we won't be able to teach it. If we don't love and fear God, we can't model that to our children. We simply can't give what we ourselves do not possess (2 Timothy 1:13-14; Titus 1:9).
One day a child might ask you: "Where is God?" or "Who is Jesus?" Answers like, "Go ask your mom" or "I don't know" won't do. We need to be ready to talk with our children about God (Deuteronomy 6:7-9) and to tell them the story of how God saved us from our sin (vv.21-23). Leading your own children to believe in Jesus is the duty and privilege of every parent. , K.T. Sim, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more