Awaken Your Hope Jesus stirred embers of hope and life within His disciples.
Top Christian Music Videos
Owe nothing to anyone—except for your obligation to love one
Financial guru and radio talk show host Dave Ramsey
frequently says, “Debt is normal. Be weird.” In an
age where charging purchases to a credit card and
spending beyond one’s means are common practices,
Ramsey urges his listeners to “act their wage,” save up,
and—other than the occasional online or phone order—
pay cash for their purchases.
To be fair and balanced, there are occasions when
incurring a debt is a legitimate option. Otherwise, Jesus
wouldn’t have said, “Give to those who ask, and don’t turn
away from those who want to borrow” (Matthew 5:42).
But Ramsey’s point is well taken. Whenever it’s possible,
living debt-free is the way to be. As the proverb says, “the
borrower is servant to the lender” (Proverbs 22:7).
Regardless of our financial state, there’s one debt that
each of us owes to our fellowman. It’s a debt that the apostle
Paul wrote about in his letter to the Christians in Rome. After
addressing a Christian’s responsibility to civil authorities and
explaining why Christians should pay their taxes, he wrote,
“Owe nothing to anyone—except for your obligation to love
one another. If you love your neighbor, you will fulfill the
requirements of God’s law” (Romans 13:8).
This was not the first time Paul urged the Christians in
Rome to show love toward each other. Just one chapter
earlier he wrote, “Love each other with genuine affection,
and take delight in honoring each other” (12:10). It’s as if
Paul returned to the theme of loving our fellowman because it’s such an essential
aspect of life—something that can’t be stressed too much.
Loving our neighbor is an ongoing debt. It’s one obligation that we could never
or should never fully repay.
Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote, “Pay every debt as if God wrote the bill.”
How will others view you if you practice this advice?
How are you doing in paying off your debts? How does it bring glory
to God for us to do so?
- Awaken Your Hope - Jesus stirred embers of hope and life within His disciples....read more
- Meaning Mirage - Where do you typically find meaning in life?...read more
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more