Prayerful RetreatHow often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?
Top Christian Music Videos
Owe nothing to anyone—except for your obligation to love one
Financial guru and radio talk show host Dave Ramsey
frequently says, “Debt is normal. Be weird.” In an
age where charging purchases to a credit card and
spending beyond one’s means are common practices,
Ramsey urges his listeners to “act their wage,” save up,
and—other than the occasional online or phone order—
pay cash for their purchases.
To be fair and balanced, there are occasions when
incurring a debt is a legitimate option. Otherwise, Jesus
wouldn’t have said, “Give to those who ask, and don’t turn
away from those who want to borrow” (Matthew 5:42).
But Ramsey’s point is well taken. Whenever it’s possible,
living debt-free is the way to be. As the proverb says, “the
borrower is servant to the lender” (Proverbs 22:7).
Regardless of our financial state, there’s one debt that
each of us owes to our fellowman. It’s a debt that the apostle
Paul wrote about in his letter to the Christians in Rome. After
addressing a Christian’s responsibility to civil authorities and
explaining why Christians should pay their taxes, he wrote,
“Owe nothing to anyone—except for your obligation to love
one another. If you love your neighbor, you will fulfill the
requirements of God’s law” (Romans 13:8).
This was not the first time Paul urged the Christians in
Rome to show love toward each other. Just one chapter
earlier he wrote, “Love each other with genuine affection,
and take delight in honoring each other” (12:10). It’s as if
Paul returned to the theme of loving our fellowman because it’s such an essential
aspect of life—something that can’t be stressed too much.
Loving our neighbor is an ongoing debt. It’s one obligation that we could never
or should never fully repay.
Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote, “Pay every debt as if God wrote the bill.”
How will others view you if you practice this advice?
How are you doing in paying off your debts? How does it bring glory
to God for us to do so?
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more