Out of LoveHow did God show love for us through His sacrifice?
Top Christian Music Videos
I am eighty-five years old. I am as strong now as I was when Moses
sent me on that journey, and I can still travel and fight as well as I could
Not even Captain Jack Sparrow could have
prepared the Somalian pirates for what they
encountered when they attempted to storm
a luxury cruise liner filled with retired tourists. As the
buccaneers pulled alongside the ship and began pelting
it with machine-gun fire, the octogenarian warriors used
deck furniture to resist and fight off the armed sea robbers.
Eventually, the golden-agers forced the pirates to
retreat. Sixty-five-year-old John Jeffrey, who was injured in
the attack, said triumphantly: “They tried to scare us off,
but we stood our ground and continued throwing chairs.”
Just as age didn’t prevent these seniors from bravely
defending themselves, age did not prevent 85-year-old
Caleb from flexing His muscles.
Because of Caleb’s wholehearted devotion to and trust
in God, 45 years earlier the Lord promised him a piece
of property. After that promise, Caleb had spent nearly
5 decades under Joshua’s leadership—wandering in the
wilderness with a dissatisfied, unfaithful congregation
and fighting against the Canaanite kingdoms. But even
after the wear and tear of all those years, with flashing
eyes and a strong voice, Caleb declared: “Today I am
eighty-five years old. I am as strong now as I was when
Moses sent me on that journey, and I can still travel and
fight as well as I could then. So give me the hill country
that the Lord promised me” (Joshua 14:10).
God had not only preserved the promise for the man—He had preserved the
man for the promise.
Sometimes our culture neglects and shelves seniors. But God still needs
octogenarian warriors—believers who will trust His promises, refuse to let age
define their usefulness to God, embrace new experiences with God, and write new
chapters for Him.
What older believer will you encourage to keep embracing God’s
promises and fighting for His glory? What are some creative ways to
keep seniors engaged in building the kingdom of God?
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more