Stinging WordsHow have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?
Top Music Videos
The people replied, “We would never abandon the Lord and serve other gods” (v.16).
As an English teacher and a writer, I have a strongappreciation for words. More than just loving certain words for their sounds, the nuances of language and meaning can keep my mind occupied far beyond what my family considers normal. So, the other day, when I heard the words momentary and momentum, I began to think about their vastly different meanings despite their common root.
In conquering the Promised Land, the Israelites had witnessed God perform one miracle after another. Seeing their enemies defeated, walls falling down and disasters averted, the people knew God had been in their midst. As he neared the end of his life, Joshua called all Israel to “fear the Lord and serve Him wholeheartedly” (Joshua 24:14). Not only did he challenge them to be faithful, he boldly warned them of humanity’s wavering nature and the uncompromising holiness of God (vv.19-20). They had been intimate with the Most High and their position had to be steadfast.
Many of us have experienced powerful moments in which we felt that God was nearer than ever before. We heard His voice speaking clearly or realized something from His Word that provided just the truth we needed. God never intends for our encounters with Him to be only momentary. Rather, they’re to transfer from moments of encounter to an unstoppable momentum of passion for God. And as with anything that has momentum, all in its path should be forever impacted.
Judges 2:7 continues the story by revealing that after those in Joshua’s generation died, the people “did not acknowledge the Lord” (v.10). Their passion for Him and His truth had cooled. How about us? Will our time with God today reflect true momentum or wasted moments?
Read Acts 8:14. According to Peter, what kept Simon bound to a momentary view of his encounter with God?
Why does God desire that we remain steadfast in our commitment to Him? How should we respond when we realize we’re being inconsistent in our relationship?
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more
- Time for Tea! - What situations frustrate you?...read more