Subscribe to God’s HelpWhat temptations are you battling?
Top Music Videos
The people replied, “We would never abandon the Lord and serve other gods” (v.16).
As an English teacher and a writer, I have a strongappreciation for words. More than just loving certain words for their sounds, the nuances of language and meaning can keep my mind occupied far beyond what my family considers normal. So, the other day, when I heard the words momentary and momentum, I began to think about their vastly different meanings despite their common root.
In conquering the Promised Land, the Israelites had witnessed God perform one miracle after another. Seeing their enemies defeated, walls falling down and disasters averted, the people knew God had been in their midst. As he neared the end of his life, Joshua called all Israel to “fear the Lord and serve Him wholeheartedly” (Joshua 24:14). Not only did he challenge them to be faithful, he boldly warned them of humanity’s wavering nature and the uncompromising holiness of God (vv.19-20). They had been intimate with the Most High and their position had to be steadfast.
Many of us have experienced powerful moments in which we felt that God was nearer than ever before. We heard His voice speaking clearly or realized something from His Word that provided just the truth we needed. God never intends for our encounters with Him to be only momentary. Rather, they’re to transfer from moments of encounter to an unstoppable momentum of passion for God. And as with anything that has momentum, all in its path should be forever impacted.
Judges 2:7 continues the story by revealing that after those in Joshua’s generation died, the people “did not acknowledge the Lord” (v.10). Their passion for Him and His truth had cooled. How about us? Will our time with God today reflect true momentum or wasted moments?
Read Acts 8:14. According to Peter, what kept Simon bound to a momentary view of his encounter with God?
Why does God desire that we remain steadfast in our commitment to Him? How should we respond when we realize we’re being inconsistent in our relationship?
- Subscribe to God’s Help - What temptations are you battling?...read more
- Taking on Too Much - What are you trying to take on that only God can do...read more
- Representing Jesus - In what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?...read more
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more