The Shepherd's VoiceHave you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?
Top Christian Music Videos
The people replied, “We would never abandon the Lord and serve other gods” (v.16).
As an English teacher and a writer, I have a strongappreciation for words. More than just loving certain words for their sounds, the nuances of language and meaning can keep my mind occupied far beyond what my family considers normal. So, the other day, when I heard the words momentary and momentum, I began to think about their vastly different meanings despite their common root.
In conquering the Promised Land, the Israelites had witnessed God perform one miracle after another. Seeing their enemies defeated, walls falling down and disasters averted, the people knew God had been in their midst. As he neared the end of his life, Joshua called all Israel to “fear the Lord and serve Him wholeheartedly” (Joshua 24:14). Not only did he challenge them to be faithful, he boldly warned them of humanity’s wavering nature and the uncompromising holiness of God (vv.19-20). They had been intimate with the Most High and their position had to be steadfast.
Many of us have experienced powerful moments in which we felt that God was nearer than ever before. We heard His voice speaking clearly or realized something from His Word that provided just the truth we needed. God never intends for our encounters with Him to be only momentary. Rather, they’re to transfer from moments of encounter to an unstoppable momentum of passion for God. And as with anything that has momentum, all in its path should be forever impacted.
Judges 2:7 continues the story by revealing that after those in Joshua’s generation died, the people “did not acknowledge the Lord” (v.10). Their passion for Him and His truth had cooled. How about us? Will our time with God today reflect true momentum or wasted moments?
Read Acts 8:14. According to Peter, what kept Simon bound to a momentary view of his encounter with God?
Why does God desire that we remain steadfast in our commitment to Him? How should we respond when we realize we’re being inconsistent in our relationship?
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more