Top Christian Music Videos
The people replied, “We would never abandon the Lord and serve other gods” (v.16).
As an English teacher and a writer, I have a strongappreciation for words. More than just loving certain words for their sounds, the nuances of language and meaning can keep my mind occupied far beyond what my family considers normal. So, the other day, when I heard the words momentary and momentum, I began to think about their vastly different meanings despite their common root.
In conquering the Promised Land, the Israelites had witnessed God perform one miracle after another. Seeing their enemies defeated, walls falling down and disasters averted, the people knew God had been in their midst. As he neared the end of his life, Joshua called all Israel to “fear the Lord and serve Him wholeheartedly” (Joshua 24:14). Not only did he challenge them to be faithful, he boldly warned them of humanity’s wavering nature and the uncompromising holiness of God (vv.19-20). They had been intimate with the Most High and their position had to be steadfast.
Many of us have experienced powerful moments in which we felt that God was nearer than ever before. We heard His voice speaking clearly or realized something from His Word that provided just the truth we needed. God never intends for our encounters with Him to be only momentary. Rather, they’re to transfer from moments of encounter to an unstoppable momentum of passion for God. And as with anything that has momentum, all in its path should be forever impacted.
Judges 2:7 continues the story by revealing that after those in Joshua’s generation died, the people “did not acknowledge the Lord” (v.10). Their passion for Him and His truth had cooled. How about us? Will our time with God today reflect true momentum or wasted moments?
Read Acts 8:14. According to Peter, what kept Simon bound to a momentary view of his encounter with God?
Why does God desire that we remain steadfast in our commitment to Him? How should we respond when we realize we’re being inconsistent in our relationship?
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more
- Good Company - How do you choose the company that you keep?...read more
- Real Faith - Read 1 Peter 1:6-9 and consider how real faith is tested and refined....read more
- Needs Met - What hungers do you think God most wants to satisfy in your life?...read more