Stinging WordsHow have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?
Top Music Videos
Who’s Seeking Whom?
The Son of Man came to seek and save those who are lost (Luke 19:10).
Zach was a lonely guy. If there was a party, he wasn’t invited. In fact, when he walked down the city streets, he could feel the hostile glares boring into his back. But his life took a turn one special day. Clement of Alexandria, one of the church fathers, says that Zach became a very prominent Christian leader and ended up a pastor of the church in Caesarea. Yes, we are talking about Zacchaeus, the chief tax collector who once famously climbed a sycamore tree.
What prompted Zacchaeus to climb up the tree? He was seekingto catch a glimpse of Jesus. Being short in stature, it was his only way to see over the crowd (Luke 19:3). But why did he want to see Jesus? Was it because Jesus had a reputation for accepting tax collectors? We aren’t told why, just that he went to extraordinary measures to sneak a peek. He ran and he climbed—two activities that were extremely inappropriate for an adult government official.
The most amazing thing in this account, however, is that Jesus was seeking Zacchaeus too. He took the initiative by looking up and saying, “Zacchaeus! . . . Quick, come down! I must be a guest in your home today” (Luke 19:5). The word must is the same word used in John 4:4, where it says that Jesus “had to go through Samaria.” It suggests divine necessity.
One Bible teacher puts it this way: “The biblical doctrine of salvation perfectly combines divine sovereignty and human responsibility. God must call and men must respond willingly. This is a unique picture, for only in Christianity is God declared to be the initiator and author of salvation. The only thing we can do is respond by receiving Christ’s free offer.”
Zacchaeus responded to Jesus’ seeking with joyful repentance (Luke 19:8). Have you?
—Poh Fang Chia
How does this understanding of God’s sovereignty and human responsibility affect your view of sharing your faith? What has been your experience with repentance before God?
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more
- Time for Tea! - What situations frustrate you?...read more