Seasons of GriefAre you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?
Top Music Videos
I want to do what is good, but I don’t. I don’t want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway (Romans 7:19).
Alcoholics Anonymous, also known as “AA,” is a worldwide movement that attempts to help alcoholics break free from their addiction to drinking. One of the first things AA leaders tell those who “can’t lay off the sauce” is that they have to come to the end of themselves. In order to break free from their addiction, they have to admit that they are powerless to stop—no matter how hard they try.
Some have felt uncomfortable with this aspect of AA’s approach because they believe it downplays personal responsibility. But that’s not the point. AA is rightly emphasizing that a person can’t get free from the addiction through self-effort.
This is precisely one of the points Paul was conveying when he wrote of his personal struggles with his sin nature. In his letter to the Christians in Rome, Paul described himself as a “slave to sin” (Romans 7:14). He wrote, “I want to do what is good, but I don’t. I don’t want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway” (Romans 7:19).
Paul had a big problem with sin, something we can all relate to. We have the issue. But the apostle doesn’t seem to tell us how to deal with it—a reality that can leave us feeling confused and frustrated.
But that’s his point! No matter how hard we try, we can’t get out of it on our own. We need Jesus! He’s the only one who can free us from sins that dominate us (Romans 7:24-25).
Do you have an addiction or obsession that is taking over your life? Stop trying so hard to get free. Surrender! Wave the white flag and admit defeat. Then run to the only One who can meet your need—Jesus.
Read 2 Corinthians 12:9 and consider what it says about our weakness and the power of God’s grace.
Do you view God as “condemning” or as “merciful”? Why? What does it mean for you to know that you are a new person in Christ? (2 Corinthians 5:17).
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more