MemorialsHow could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?
Top Music Videos
I want to do what is good, but I don’t. I don’t want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway (Romans 7:19).
Alcoholics Anonymous, also known as “AA,” is a worldwide movement that attempts to help alcoholics break free from their addiction to drinking. One of the first things AA leaders tell those who “can’t lay off the sauce” is that they have to come to the end of themselves. In order to break free from their addiction, they have to admit that they are powerless to stop—no matter how hard they try.
Some have felt uncomfortable with this aspect of AA’s approach because they believe it downplays personal responsibility. But that’s not the point. AA is rightly emphasizing that a person can’t get free from the addiction through self-effort.
This is precisely one of the points Paul was conveying when he wrote of his personal struggles with his sin nature. In his letter to the Christians in Rome, Paul described himself as a “slave to sin” (Romans 7:14). He wrote, “I want to do what is good, but I don’t. I don’t want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway” (Romans 7:19).
Paul had a big problem with sin, something we can all relate to. We have the issue. But the apostle doesn’t seem to tell us how to deal with it—a reality that can leave us feeling confused and frustrated.
But that’s his point! No matter how hard we try, we can’t get out of it on our own. We need Jesus! He’s the only one who can free us from sins that dominate us (Romans 7:24-25).
Do you have an addiction or obsession that is taking over your life? Stop trying so hard to get free. Surrender! Wave the white flag and admit defeat. Then run to the only One who can meet your need—Jesus.
Read 2 Corinthians 12:9 and consider what it says about our weakness and the power of God’s grace.
Do you view God as “condemning” or as “merciful”? Why? What does it mean for you to know that you are a new person in Christ? (2 Corinthians 5:17).
- Memorials - How could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?...read more
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more