"Brutiful"How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?
Top Music Videos
I want to do what is good, but I don’t. I don’t want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway (Romans 7:19).
Alcoholics Anonymous, also known as “AA,” is a worldwide movement that attempts to help alcoholics break free from their addiction to drinking. One of the first things AA leaders tell those who “can’t lay off the sauce” is that they have to come to the end of themselves. In order to break free from their addiction, they have to admit that they are powerless to stop—no matter how hard they try.
Some have felt uncomfortable with this aspect of AA’s approach because they believe it downplays personal responsibility. But that’s not the point. AA is rightly emphasizing that a person can’t get free from the addiction through self-effort.
This is precisely one of the points Paul was conveying when he wrote of his personal struggles with his sin nature. In his letter to the Christians in Rome, Paul described himself as a “slave to sin” (Romans 7:14). He wrote, “I want to do what is good, but I don’t. I don’t want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway” (Romans 7:19).
Paul had a big problem with sin, something we can all relate to. We have the issue. But the apostle doesn’t seem to tell us how to deal with it—a reality that can leave us feeling confused and frustrated.
But that’s his point! No matter how hard we try, we can’t get out of it on our own. We need Jesus! He’s the only one who can free us from sins that dominate us (Romans 7:24-25).
Do you have an addiction or obsession that is taking over your life? Stop trying so hard to get free. Surrender! Wave the white flag and admit defeat. Then run to the only One who can meet your need—Jesus.
Read 2 Corinthians 12:9 and consider what it says about our weakness and the power of God’s grace.
Do you view God as “condemning” or as “merciful”? Why? What does it mean for you to know that you are a new person in Christ? (2 Corinthians 5:17).
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more