Always ThereDo you believe that the Lord is always with you?
Top Music Videos
Dying to Live
While we live in these earthly bodies, we groan and sigh. . . . We want
to put on our new bodies so that these dying bodies will be swallowed up by life
(2 Corinthians 5:4).
How’s your dad?” a colleague asked me.
“Struggling to die,” I replied. My 84-year-old
dad has endured the painful debilitating effects
of liver cancer for 2 years. Doctors have told me and
my family to be prepared for his inevitable demise. So
as he lies on that hospital bed, I feel his pain. In a weak
voice, he recently said, “My time is almost up.” Dad isn’t
struggling to live, but waiting to die.
I take comfort in what Paul said in Romans 8: “Yet
what we suffer now is nothing compared to the glory
He will reveal to us later. For all creation is waiting
eagerly for that future day when God will reveal who His
children really are” (vv.18-19).
Dad may be helpless against some rogue cells that
have attacked his body. But he is certainly not without
hope. My father is God’s child (vv.15-17). He has
entrusted himself to the One who is trustworthy (2
Timothy 1:12). He knows he’s finally going home to be
with Jesus (2 Corinthians 5:8).
Yes, “we believers also groan, . . . we long for our
bodies to be released from sin and suffering. We, too,
wait with eager hope for the day when God will give us
our full rights as His adopted children, including the new
bodies He has promised us” (Romans 8:23).
God “chose [Dad] to become like His Son. . . . And
. . . He called [Dad] to come to Him. . . . He gave [Dad]
right standing with Himself. . . . He gave [Dad] His glory” (vv.29-30). My father
may have cancer. But cancer doesn’t have him. God has him. And this is the
glory that awaits Dad.
He’s not struggling to die. Dad is dying to live with God forever!
What hope and comfort
does 2 Corinthians 5:1 give to those
who are God’s children?
Read Romans 8:15-30
again. What assurances
does God give to those
who are suffering?
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more