Staying TrueOur ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze.
Top Christian Music Videos
Dying to Live
While we live in these earthly bodies, we groan and sigh. . . . We want
to put on our new bodies so that these dying bodies will be swallowed up by life
(2 Corinthians 5:4).
How’s your dad?” a colleague asked me.
“Struggling to die,” I replied. My 84-year-old
dad has endured the painful debilitating effects
of liver cancer for 2 years. Doctors have told me and
my family to be prepared for his inevitable demise. So
as he lies on that hospital bed, I feel his pain. In a weak
voice, he recently said, “My time is almost up.” Dad isn’t
struggling to live, but waiting to die.
I take comfort in what Paul said in Romans 8: “Yet
what we suffer now is nothing compared to the glory
He will reveal to us later. For all creation is waiting
eagerly for that future day when God will reveal who His
children really are” (vv.18-19).
Dad may be helpless against some rogue cells that
have attacked his body. But he is certainly not without
hope. My father is God’s child (vv.15-17). He has
entrusted himself to the One who is trustworthy (2
Timothy 1:12). He knows he’s finally going home to be
with Jesus (2 Corinthians 5:8).
Yes, “we believers also groan, . . . we long for our
bodies to be released from sin and suffering. We, too,
wait with eager hope for the day when God will give us
our full rights as His adopted children, including the new
bodies He has promised us” (Romans 8:23).
God “chose [Dad] to become like His Son. . . . And
. . . He called [Dad] to come to Him. . . . He gave [Dad]
right standing with Himself. . . . He gave [Dad] His glory” (vv.29-30). My father
may have cancer. But cancer doesn’t have him. God has him. And this is the
glory that awaits Dad.
He’s not struggling to die. Dad is dying to live with God forever!
What hope and comfort
does 2 Corinthians 5:1 give to those
who are God’s children?
Read Romans 8:15-30
again. What assurances
does God give to those
who are suffering?
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more
- When We See Jesus - Do you long to see Jesus?...read more