Faithful and TrueWhat experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?
Top Christian Music Videos
We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps (v.9).
When I originally met the little Ugandan boy
who eventually became my son, my goal was
simply to keep him alive. After he overcame
malnutrition and recovered from a long list of diseases,
however, my dreams for his life quickly became bigger.
For example, the first time my son—as a mere 5-yearold—
petted a horse, I immediately visualized him
becoming the first Ugandan to win an Olympic gold medal
in equestrian sports. Since then, I’ve imagined my adopted
child being everything from a professional athlete to a
world leader. I want him to have the richest experiences, to
achieve academic and professional success, to be deeply
loved, to live a life of service, to be a devoted husband and
father, and to walk with Jesus Christ all of his days.
After hearing of my lofty hopes and expectations
for my son, my friend Kim gently reminded me that in
terms of future career and all, I need to respect my son’s
personal desires and goals even if they don’t line up
with mine. And, more importantly, I need to encourage
my son to seek God’s agenda for his life, rather than
pressure him to fulfill mine (Proverbs 16:1).
Taking Kim’s exhortation to heart, I dug into Scripture
to better understand how I can align my goals for my son
with God’s. Following are a few insights I gained:
• Parents can make plans, but God will determine their
children’s steps (v.9).
• The most foolish plan of God is wiser than the wisest plan we could ever
conjure up for our children (1 Corinthians 1:25).
• Children are God’s masterpieces—not ours, and they’re created for His
purposes (Proverbs 1:4; Ephesians 2:10).
Let’s commit our children and their plans to God—knowing that He’s the only
One who can help them truly succeed (Proverbs 16:3). —Roxanne Robbins
What does Deuteronomy 6:5 reveal about
instructing children in
How do you need to
change your view of
planning in light of God’s
wisdom? How will you
help your children make
plans that honor Him?
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more
- Breaking Toward Freedom - Where are you experiencing a need for freedom?...read more
- A Spiritual Powerlift - How are you practicing walking in the power of the Holy Spirit?...read more