Powerful PatienceHow can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?
Top Music Videos
We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps (v.9).
When I originally met the little Ugandan boy
who eventually became my son, my goal was
simply to keep him alive. After he overcame
malnutrition and recovered from a long list of diseases,
however, my dreams for his life quickly became bigger.
For example, the first time my son—as a mere 5-yearold—
petted a horse, I immediately visualized him
becoming the first Ugandan to win an Olympic gold medal
in equestrian sports. Since then, I’ve imagined my adopted
child being everything from a professional athlete to a
world leader. I want him to have the richest experiences, to
achieve academic and professional success, to be deeply
loved, to live a life of service, to be a devoted husband and
father, and to walk with Jesus Christ all of his days.
After hearing of my lofty hopes and expectations
for my son, my friend Kim gently reminded me that in
terms of future career and all, I need to respect my son’s
personal desires and goals even if they don’t line up
with mine. And, more importantly, I need to encourage
my son to seek God’s agenda for his life, rather than
pressure him to fulfill mine (Proverbs 16:1).
Taking Kim’s exhortation to heart, I dug into Scripture
to better understand how I can align my goals for my son
with God’s. Following are a few insights I gained:
• Parents can make plans, but God will determine their
children’s steps (v.9).
• The most foolish plan of God is wiser than the wisest plan we could ever
conjure up for our children (1 Corinthians 1:25).
• Children are God’s masterpieces—not ours, and they’re created for His
purposes (Proverbs 1:4; Ephesians 2:10).
Let’s commit our children and their plans to God—knowing that He’s the only
One who can help them truly succeed (Proverbs 16:3). —Roxanne Robbins
What does Deuteronomy 6:5 reveal about
instructing children in
How do you need to
change your view of
planning in light of God’s
wisdom? How will you
help your children make
plans that honor Him?
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more
- Broken Down & Built Up - What might God be accomplishing in your life through a recent difficult experience?...read more