Warm WelcomeHow does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?
Top Christian Music Videos
We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps (v.9).
When I originally met the little Ugandan boy
who eventually became my son, my goal was
simply to keep him alive. After he overcame
malnutrition and recovered from a long list of diseases,
however, my dreams for his life quickly became bigger.
For example, the first time my son—as a mere 5-yearold—
petted a horse, I immediately visualized him
becoming the first Ugandan to win an Olympic gold medal
in equestrian sports. Since then, I’ve imagined my adopted
child being everything from a professional athlete to a
world leader. I want him to have the richest experiences, to
achieve academic and professional success, to be deeply
loved, to live a life of service, to be a devoted husband and
father, and to walk with Jesus Christ all of his days.
After hearing of my lofty hopes and expectations
for my son, my friend Kim gently reminded me that in
terms of future career and all, I need to respect my son’s
personal desires and goals even if they don’t line up
with mine. And, more importantly, I need to encourage
my son to seek God’s agenda for his life, rather than
pressure him to fulfill mine (Proverbs 16:1).
Taking Kim’s exhortation to heart, I dug into Scripture
to better understand how I can align my goals for my son
with God’s. Following are a few insights I gained:
• Parents can make plans, but God will determine their
children’s steps (v.9).
• The most foolish plan of God is wiser than the wisest plan we could ever
conjure up for our children (1 Corinthians 1:25).
• Children are God’s masterpieces—not ours, and they’re created for His
purposes (Proverbs 1:4; Ephesians 2:10).
Let’s commit our children and their plans to God—knowing that He’s the only
One who can help them truly succeed (Proverbs 16:3). —Roxanne Robbins
What does Deuteronomy 6:5 reveal about
instructing children in
How do you need to
change your view of
planning in light of God’s
wisdom? How will you
help your children make
plans that honor Him?
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more
- A New Person - What regret do you need to give to Jesus?...read more
- Wexting? - For what challenge do you need to seek God’s wisdom today?...read more
- A Better Question - What kinds of questions do you ask God most often?...read more