VictoryWhat battles are you facing these days?
Top Music Videos
We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps (v.9).
When I originally met the little Ugandan boy
who eventually became my son, my goal was
simply to keep him alive. After he overcame
malnutrition and recovered from a long list of diseases,
however, my dreams for his life quickly became bigger.
For example, the first time my son—as a mere 5-yearold—
petted a horse, I immediately visualized him
becoming the first Ugandan to win an Olympic gold medal
in equestrian sports. Since then, I’ve imagined my adopted
child being everything from a professional athlete to a
world leader. I want him to have the richest experiences, to
achieve academic and professional success, to be deeply
loved, to live a life of service, to be a devoted husband and
father, and to walk with Jesus Christ all of his days.
After hearing of my lofty hopes and expectations
for my son, my friend Kim gently reminded me that in
terms of future career and all, I need to respect my son’s
personal desires and goals even if they don’t line up
with mine. And, more importantly, I need to encourage
my son to seek God’s agenda for his life, rather than
pressure him to fulfill mine (Proverbs 16:1).
Taking Kim’s exhortation to heart, I dug into Scripture
to better understand how I can align my goals for my son
with God’s. Following are a few insights I gained:
• Parents can make plans, but God will determine their
children’s steps (v.9).
• The most foolish plan of God is wiser than the wisest plan we could ever
conjure up for our children (1 Corinthians 1:25).
• Children are God’s masterpieces—not ours, and they’re created for His
purposes (Proverbs 1:4; Ephesians 2:10).
Let’s commit our children and their plans to God—knowing that He’s the only
One who can help them truly succeed (Proverbs 16:3). —Roxanne Robbins
What does Deuteronomy 6:5 reveal about
instructing children in
How do you need to
change your view of
planning in light of God’s
wisdom? How will you
help your children make
plans that honor Him?
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more