Meaning MirageWhere do you typically find meaning in life?
Top Christian Music Videos
We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps (v.9).
When I originally met the little Ugandan boy
who eventually became my son, my goal was
simply to keep him alive. After he overcame
malnutrition and recovered from a long list of diseases,
however, my dreams for his life quickly became bigger.
For example, the first time my son—as a mere 5-yearold—
petted a horse, I immediately visualized him
becoming the first Ugandan to win an Olympic gold medal
in equestrian sports. Since then, I’ve imagined my adopted
child being everything from a professional athlete to a
world leader. I want him to have the richest experiences, to
achieve academic and professional success, to be deeply
loved, to live a life of service, to be a devoted husband and
father, and to walk with Jesus Christ all of his days.
After hearing of my lofty hopes and expectations
for my son, my friend Kim gently reminded me that in
terms of future career and all, I need to respect my son’s
personal desires and goals even if they don’t line up
with mine. And, more importantly, I need to encourage
my son to seek God’s agenda for his life, rather than
pressure him to fulfill mine (Proverbs 16:1).
Taking Kim’s exhortation to heart, I dug into Scripture
to better understand how I can align my goals for my son
with God’s. Following are a few insights I gained:
• Parents can make plans, but God will determine their
children’s steps (v.9).
• The most foolish plan of God is wiser than the wisest plan we could ever
conjure up for our children (1 Corinthians 1:25).
• Children are God’s masterpieces—not ours, and they’re created for His
purposes (Proverbs 1:4; Ephesians 2:10).
Let’s commit our children and their plans to God—knowing that He’s the only
One who can help them truly succeed (Proverbs 16:3). —Roxanne Robbins
What does Deuteronomy 6:5 reveal about
instructing children in
How do you need to
change your view of
planning in light of God’s
wisdom? How will you
help your children make
plans that honor Him?
- Meaning Mirage - Where do you typically find meaning in life?...read more
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more