Running the RaceHow deliberate are you in your spiritual training?
Top Christian Music Videos
Give your burdens to the Lord, and He will take care of you. He will not
permit the godly to slip and fall (v.22).
The bold print in a local news story caught my eye:
“Increase in suicide rates in Singapore, male suicides
double that of female.” The report goes on to say,
“According to some psychiatrists, the higher number of
suicides among men is not an unusual trend. . . . When
it comes to dealing with their problems, men don’t tend
to seek help, thus pushing themselves into a deeper
David was once under tremendous pressure as he
endured the relentless attacks of his enemies (Psalm
55:3-5, 9-11). But it wasn’t a nameless enemy who dealt
him a critical, damaging attack. It was the betrayal of
one whom he described as “my equal, my companion
and close friend” (vv.12-14). The pain sharpened and
overwhelmed him as he experienced the full brunt of the
treachery (vv.20-21, 41:9).
David sought release from his terrible plight. His gut
response was to escape. He wanted to run away! “How
quickly I would escape—far from this wild storm of
hatred” (55:6-8). One wonders if David contemplated the
ultimate means of escape—suicide.
Thankfully, David chose a different way, for suicide
is a permanent solution to what is often a temporary
problem. He sought help from God, crying out, “Listen to
my prayer, O God. Do not ignore my cry for help . . . for
I am overwhelmed by my troubles!” (vv.1-2).
Are you oppressed and depressed by life’s pressures and pains? Do you wish
that you had wings to fly to a place of quiet refuge and rest? (vv.6-7). It’s time to
pray and to fly into the loving arms of God, who rescues you and keeps you safe
(vv.16-18). Listen to David’s advice: “Give your burdens to the Lord, and He will
take care of you. He will not permit the godly to slip and fall” (vv.22).
Escape into God’s loving arms. —K.T. Sim
What pressures or pains
of life are you going
through? How do the
truths found in Psalms 55:1
help you cope with them?
- Running the Race - How deliberate are you in your spiritual training?...read more
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more