Treasure that LastsWhat legacy do you want to leave behind when you die?
Top Christian Music Videos
Give your burdens to the Lord, and He will take care of you. He will not
permit the godly to slip and fall (v.22).
The bold print in a local news story caught my eye:
“Increase in suicide rates in Singapore, male suicides
double that of female.” The report goes on to say,
“According to some psychiatrists, the higher number of
suicides among men is not an unusual trend. . . . When
it comes to dealing with their problems, men don’t tend
to seek help, thus pushing themselves into a deeper
David was once under tremendous pressure as he
endured the relentless attacks of his enemies (Psalm
55:3-5, 9-11). But it wasn’t a nameless enemy who dealt
him a critical, damaging attack. It was the betrayal of
one whom he described as “my equal, my companion
and close friend” (vv.12-14). The pain sharpened and
overwhelmed him as he experienced the full brunt of the
treachery (vv.20-21, 41:9).
David sought release from his terrible plight. His gut
response was to escape. He wanted to run away! “How
quickly I would escape—far from this wild storm of
hatred” (55:6-8). One wonders if David contemplated the
ultimate means of escape—suicide.
Thankfully, David chose a different way, for suicide
is a permanent solution to what is often a temporary
problem. He sought help from God, crying out, “Listen to
my prayer, O God. Do not ignore my cry for help . . . for
I am overwhelmed by my troubles!” (vv.1-2).
Are you oppressed and depressed by life’s pressures and pains? Do you wish
that you had wings to fly to a place of quiet refuge and rest? (vv.6-7). It’s time to
pray and to fly into the loving arms of God, who rescues you and keeps you safe
(vv.16-18). Listen to David’s advice: “Give your burdens to the Lord, and He will
take care of you. He will not permit the godly to slip and fall” (vv.22).
Escape into God’s loving arms. —K.T. Sim
What pressures or pains
of life are you going
through? How do the
truths found in Psalms 55:1
help you cope with them?
- Treasure that Lasts - What legacy do you want to leave behind when you die?...read more
- The Lost Virtue - In what common circumstances are you most impatient?...read more
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more