Tender HeartsHow can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?
Top Christian Music Videos
Give your burdens to the Lord, and He will take care of you. He will not
permit the godly to slip and fall (v.22).
The bold print in a local news story caught my eye:
“Increase in suicide rates in Singapore, male suicides
double that of female.” The report goes on to say,
“According to some psychiatrists, the higher number of
suicides among men is not an unusual trend. . . . When
it comes to dealing with their problems, men don’t tend
to seek help, thus pushing themselves into a deeper
David was once under tremendous pressure as he
endured the relentless attacks of his enemies (Psalm
55:3-5, 9-11). But it wasn’t a nameless enemy who dealt
him a critical, damaging attack. It was the betrayal of
one whom he described as “my equal, my companion
and close friend” (vv.12-14). The pain sharpened and
overwhelmed him as he experienced the full brunt of the
treachery (vv.20-21, 41:9).
David sought release from his terrible plight. His gut
response was to escape. He wanted to run away! “How
quickly I would escape—far from this wild storm of
hatred” (55:6-8). One wonders if David contemplated the
ultimate means of escape—suicide.
Thankfully, David chose a different way, for suicide
is a permanent solution to what is often a temporary
problem. He sought help from God, crying out, “Listen to
my prayer, O God. Do not ignore my cry for help . . . for
I am overwhelmed by my troubles!” (vv.1-2).
Are you oppressed and depressed by life’s pressures and pains? Do you wish
that you had wings to fly to a place of quiet refuge and rest? (vv.6-7). It’s time to
pray and to fly into the loving arms of God, who rescues you and keeps you safe
(vv.16-18). Listen to David’s advice: “Give your burdens to the Lord, and He will
take care of you. He will not permit the godly to slip and fall” (vv.22).
Escape into God’s loving arms. —K.T. Sim
What pressures or pains
of life are you going
through? How do the
truths found in Psalms 55:1
help you cope with them?
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more