After 35What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?
Top Music Videos
Love The Most?
We love each other because He loved us first (v.19).
A young child once asked her father, “Daddy, whodo you love the most, me or my brother?” The father wisely explained to his child that he loved each one of his children the same, but he sometimes expressed his love in different ways.
Later, the child asked her father a different question, “Daddy, who do you love the most, Jesus or me?” The father told his daughter that he loved Jesus the most, because without Jesus’ love for him, he wouldn’t be able to love his children as much as he did.
What a great way to express it! This father’s answer parallels the words of another father figure who once wrote to a group of Christians he considered to be his “dear children” (1 John 1:1). The apostle John reminded his readers: “We love each other because [God] loved us first” (4:19).
John, who saw himself as one of God’s own, emphasized God’s parental love when he wrote, “See how very much our Father loves us, for He calls us His children, and that is what we are!” (1 John 1:1). In one of the most quoted verses in the Bible, He again pointed out: “For God loved the world so much that He gave His one and only Son” (John 3:16). Notice that he didn’t merely write that God loved us, he wrote that God loved us “so much”—perhaps again stressing the love of a parent.
Parents love their children so much that they would do anything for them. That’s how much our heavenly Father loves us. And His love for us can move us to do great things for Him and for others. According to John, His compassion becomes our compassion that we in turn give to others.
So, who do you love the most?
God didn’t just talk about loving us. He showed it through His actions (see Romans 5:8).
Is there someone to whom you can show the Father’s love today? How has His love transformed your life?
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more
- The Art of Joy - What has hindered you from experiencing joy this week?...read more
- What a Friend! - What does it mean to you to have a friend in Jesus?...read more