The Gift of LoveHow should you respond to such a great love?
Top Christian Music Videos
Love The Most?
We love each other because He loved us first (v.19).
A young child once asked her father, “Daddy, whodo you love the most, me or my brother?” The father wisely explained to his child that he loved each one of his children the same, but he sometimes expressed his love in different ways.
Later, the child asked her father a different question, “Daddy, who do you love the most, Jesus or me?” The father told his daughter that he loved Jesus the most, because without Jesus’ love for him, he wouldn’t be able to love his children as much as he did.
What a great way to express it! This father’s answer parallels the words of another father figure who once wrote to a group of Christians he considered to be his “dear children” (1 John 1:1). The apostle John reminded his readers: “We love each other because [God] loved us first” (4:19).
John, who saw himself as one of God’s own, emphasized God’s parental love when he wrote, “See how very much our Father loves us, for He calls us His children, and that is what we are!” (1 John 1:1). In one of the most quoted verses in the Bible, He again pointed out: “For God loved the world so much that He gave His one and only Son” (John 3:16). Notice that he didn’t merely write that God loved us, he wrote that God loved us “so much”—perhaps again stressing the love of a parent.
Parents love their children so much that they would do anything for them. That’s how much our heavenly Father loves us. And His love for us can move us to do great things for Him and for others. According to John, His compassion becomes our compassion that we in turn give to others.
So, who do you love the most?
God didn’t just talk about loving us. He showed it through His actions (see Romans 5:8).
Is there someone to whom you can show the Father’s love today? How has His love transformed your life?
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more
- A New Person - What regret do you need to give to Jesus?...read more
- Wexting? - For what challenge do you need to seek God’s wisdom today?...read more