A Little FartherDo you hear much about lament in your local church?
Top Christian Music Videos
Love The Most?
We love each other because He loved us first (v.19).
A young child once asked her father, “Daddy, whodo you love the most, me or my brother?” The father wisely explained to his child that he loved each one of his children the same, but he sometimes expressed his love in different ways.
Later, the child asked her father a different question, “Daddy, who do you love the most, Jesus or me?” The father told his daughter that he loved Jesus the most, because without Jesus’ love for him, he wouldn’t be able to love his children as much as he did.
What a great way to express it! This father’s answer parallels the words of another father figure who once wrote to a group of Christians he considered to be his “dear children” (1 John 1:1). The apostle John reminded his readers: “We love each other because [God] loved us first” (4:19).
John, who saw himself as one of God’s own, emphasized God’s parental love when he wrote, “See how very much our Father loves us, for He calls us His children, and that is what we are!” (1 John 1:1). In one of the most quoted verses in the Bible, He again pointed out: “For God loved the world so much that He gave His one and only Son” (John 3:16). Notice that he didn’t merely write that God loved us, he wrote that God loved us “so much”—perhaps again stressing the love of a parent.
Parents love their children so much that they would do anything for them. That’s how much our heavenly Father loves us. And His love for us can move us to do great things for Him and for others. According to John, His compassion becomes our compassion that we in turn give to others.
So, who do you love the most?
God didn’t just talk about loving us. He showed it through His actions (see Romans 5:8).
Is there someone to whom you can show the Father’s love today? How has His love transformed your life?
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more
- Shared Responsibility - Have you ever apologized for the actions of someone else?...read more