The Gentle WayWhat does it look like for you to live out Jesus’ gentleness before others?
Top Christian Music Videos
Hiding the Flame
You light a lamp for me. The Lord, my God, lights up my darkness (Psalm 18:28).
The London 2012 Olympic cauldron was magnificent. Designed by Thomas Heatherwick, the spectacular sculpture was built out of 204 copper petals representing the number of competing countries. Despite its beauty, the cauldron elicited scorn from some visitors of the Games who couldn’t view it.
Heatherwick explained that he wanted to achieve the intimacy of the 1948 Games with the cauldron set within the stadium to one side near the spectators. He knew that only ticket holders to the opening ceremonies or athletics events in the Olympic Stadium could view it in person. But he also knew that spectators in Olympic Park could see it on various video screens, and fans around the world could witness it via TV and the Internet.
I’m a bit surprised that the London Organizing Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (LOCOG) approved Heatherwick’s plan. It was definitely an innovative approach, but the cauldron couldn’t be easily seen by many people in London. Fortunately, by God’s grace and mercy, no person, law, or object can hide or dictate the light of Christ—“God’s light came into the world” (John 3:19). “I am the light of the world,” Jesus proclaimed. “If you follow Me, you won’t have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life” (John 8:12).
Unconfined to a cauldron, the light of Jesus reveals God to the nations (Luke 2:32; John 3:21) and gives us the ability to see His face, His truth, His heart (Luke 1:79). “For God, who said, ‘Let there be lightin the darkness,’ has made this light shine in our hearts so we could know the glory of God that is seen in the face of Jesus Christ” (2 Corinthians 4:6, emphasis added).
Thank you, God, for making “the light by which we see” free and accessible to all (Psalm 36:9).
Read 2 Corinthians 4:7 and consider what it says about God’s light: “We now have this light shining in our hearts, but we ourselves are like fragile clay jars containing this great treasure.
How do we sometimes hide God’s light in our lives? Why is it true that God’s light will never be extinguished?
- The Gentle Way - What does it look like for you to live out Jesus’ gentleness before others?...read more
- Fireworks and Mercy - How does it make you feel to know that God understands your human frailty and has mercy on you?...read more
- Happy at You - Do you know deep down that God loves you dearly?...read more
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more