Connecting the DotsWhat good work is God doing in your life?
Top Music Videos
The Wealthy Poor
I have heart the groans of the poor. Now I will rise up to rescue them, as they have longed for me to do. (v.5)
My close friends Rob and Christi Gebhart and their three young children spent 6 weeks at my home in Uganda this past year. Christi blogged that she and Rob were most moved by the poignant observations their sons made of the Ugandan people.
“Early on,” Christi wrote, “Tyler observed how strange it was that the people with so little could have so much joy.” (Luke 12:15 says, ‘Life is not measured by how much we own.’) “Brayden,” Christi added, “said he believed that in the next 200 years, Uganda will probably become the richest country in the world.” “Why?” Rob and Christi asked. “Because,” Brayden replied, “the Bible says that the poorest will become rich.”
The family then discussed whether God meant the poor would become rich in a material way or rich in a different (spiritual) way. After discussing it they all agreed that maybe it already happened. “Is it possible,” the Gebharts asked, “that the poor have already found more joy than we have in our over programmed lives?”
The following verses support that God has indeed chosen the poor in this world to be rich in faith:
• “He gives prosperity to the poor and protects those who suffer” (Job 5:11).
• “But the needy will not be ignored forever; the hopes of the poor will not always be crushed” (Psalms 9:18).
• “God blesses those who are poor and realize their need for Him, for the kingdom of heaven is theirs” (Matthew 5:3).
• “Hasn’t God chosen the poor in this world to be rich in faith?” (James 2:5).
May we live out a faith today that richly extends God’s love to others.
How do you interpret the following promise: “The poor will eat and be satisfied?” (Psalms 22:26).
Why might it be easier for the poor to possess a rich faith in God? How is your faith affected by the material things you do or don’t have?
- Connecting the Dots - What good work is God doing in your life?...read more
- Responding to Suffering - How do you feel when your life is interrupted by suffering and adversity?...read more
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more