Always LovedEven before he made the world, God loved us and chose us.
Top Christian Music Videos
The Wealthy Poor
I have heart the groans of the poor. Now I will rise up to rescue them, as they have longed for me to do. (v.5)
My close friends Rob and Christi Gebhart and their three young children spent 6 weeks at my home in Uganda this past year. Christi blogged that she and Rob were most moved by the poignant observations their sons made of the Ugandan people.
“Early on,” Christi wrote, “Tyler observed how strange it was that the people with so little could have so much joy.” (Luke 12:15 says, ‘Life is not measured by how much we own.’) “Brayden,” Christi added, “said he believed that in the next 200 years, Uganda will probably become the richest country in the world.” “Why?” Rob and Christi asked. “Because,” Brayden replied, “the Bible says that the poorest will become rich.”
The family then discussed whether God meant the poor would become rich in a material way or rich in a different (spiritual) way. After discussing it they all agreed that maybe it already happened. “Is it possible,” the Gebharts asked, “that the poor have already found more joy than we have in our over programmed lives?”
The following verses support that God has indeed chosen the poor in this world to be rich in faith:
• “He gives prosperity to the poor and protects those who suffer” (Job 5:11).
• “But the needy will not be ignored forever; the hopes of the poor will not always be crushed” (Psalms 9:18).
• “God blesses those who are poor and realize their need for Him, for the kingdom of heaven is theirs” (Matthew 5:3).
• “Hasn’t God chosen the poor in this world to be rich in faith?” (James 2:5).
May we live out a faith today that richly extends God’s love to others.
How do you interpret the following promise: “The poor will eat and be satisfied?” (Psalms 22:26).
Why might it be easier for the poor to possess a rich faith in God? How is your faith affected by the material things you do or don’t have?
- Always Loved - Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us....read more
- Run with It! - Jesus is the author of life....read more
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more