MemorialsHow could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?
Top Music Videos
The Wealthy Poor
I have heart the groans of the poor. Now I will rise up to rescue them, as they have longed for me to do. (v.5)
My close friends Rob and Christi Gebhart and their three young children spent 6 weeks at my home in Uganda this past year. Christi blogged that she and Rob were most moved by the poignant observations their sons made of the Ugandan people.
“Early on,” Christi wrote, “Tyler observed how strange it was that the people with so little could have so much joy.” (Luke 12:15 says, ‘Life is not measured by how much we own.’) “Brayden,” Christi added, “said he believed that in the next 200 years, Uganda will probably become the richest country in the world.” “Why?” Rob and Christi asked. “Because,” Brayden replied, “the Bible says that the poorest will become rich.”
The family then discussed whether God meant the poor would become rich in a material way or rich in a different (spiritual) way. After discussing it they all agreed that maybe it already happened. “Is it possible,” the Gebharts asked, “that the poor have already found more joy than we have in our over programmed lives?”
The following verses support that God has indeed chosen the poor in this world to be rich in faith:
• “He gives prosperity to the poor and protects those who suffer” (Job 5:11).
• “But the needy will not be ignored forever; the hopes of the poor will not always be crushed” (Psalms 9:18).
• “God blesses those who are poor and realize their need for Him, for the kingdom of heaven is theirs” (Matthew 5:3).
• “Hasn’t God chosen the poor in this world to be rich in faith?” (James 2:5).
May we live out a faith today that richly extends God’s love to others.
How do you interpret the following promise: “The poor will eat and be satisfied?” (Psalms 22:26).
Why might it be easier for the poor to possess a rich faith in God? How is your faith affected by the material things you do or don’t have?
- Memorials - How could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?...read more
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more