Tongues AfireWhen have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?
Top Music Videos
The Wealthy Poor
I have heart the groans of the poor. Now I will rise up to rescue them, as they have longed for me to do. (v.5)
My close friends Rob and Christi Gebhart and their three young children spent 6 weeks at my home in Uganda this past year. Christi blogged that she and Rob were most moved by the poignant observations their sons made of the Ugandan people.
“Early on,” Christi wrote, “Tyler observed how strange it was that the people with so little could have so much joy.” (Luke 12:15 says, ‘Life is not measured by how much we own.’) “Brayden,” Christi added, “said he believed that in the next 200 years, Uganda will probably become the richest country in the world.” “Why?” Rob and Christi asked. “Because,” Brayden replied, “the Bible says that the poorest will become rich.”
The family then discussed whether God meant the poor would become rich in a material way or rich in a different (spiritual) way. After discussing it they all agreed that maybe it already happened. “Is it possible,” the Gebharts asked, “that the poor have already found more joy than we have in our over programmed lives?”
The following verses support that God has indeed chosen the poor in this world to be rich in faith:
• “He gives prosperity to the poor and protects those who suffer” (Job 5:11).
• “But the needy will not be ignored forever; the hopes of the poor will not always be crushed” (Psalms 9:18).
• “God blesses those who are poor and realize their need for Him, for the kingdom of heaven is theirs” (Matthew 5:3).
• “Hasn’t God chosen the poor in this world to be rich in faith?” (James 2:5).
May we live out a faith today that richly extends God’s love to others.
How do you interpret the following promise: “The poor will eat and be satisfied?” (Psalms 22:26).
Why might it be easier for the poor to possess a rich faith in God? How is your faith affected by the material things you do or don’t have?
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more