The Lost VirtueIn what common circumstances are you most impatient?
Top Christian Music Videos
Our Father in heaven, may Your name be kept holy (v.9).
Our Father in heaven,”Jesus taught us to pray, “may Your name be kept holy” (Matthew 6:9). We affirm today that Your name, Yahweh, already isholy because it describes You—pure, perfect, far removed from evil, error, and corruption.
And yet in praying, “May Your name be kept holy,” we acknowledge our part, as Your people, in revealing Your holiness to others. By our words and deeds we can either represent You well, or we can cause Your name to be blasphemed by the world (Romans 2:24).
God, we confess today that we have in many ways tainted Your holy name. We ask humbly, and urgently, that You right what we’ve wronged, and make Your name holy once more. We beg your forgiveness . . .
• For church ministers who have betrayed the trust of children. They have violated their innocence in Your name.
• For televangelists whose ministries have collapsed in scandal. They have ruined lives in Your name.
• For crusades and wars fought for the “Prince of Peace”—for acts of brutality done in Your name.
• For the coldness of some of our churches and the superficiality of others; for the ways we’ve clung to archaic tradition or run with the latest fad.
• For clothing ourselves in riches while the poor starve; for cheapening the bonds of marriage by relaxing sexual ethics; for pursuing success at the expense of principle; for the self-centeredness of our dreams; for the myriad ways we have refashioned You into a god who endorses whatever we want endorsed.
Holy God, we’re so sorry. We repent. Empower us to live lives like Yours. For You are pure, loving, and good—and You call us to be like You. May your name be kept holy. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen.
Is there a specific sin God is calling you to repent of today? Is there anyone to whom you need to show God’s work in your life by apologizing?
- The Lost Virtue - In what common circumstances are you most impatient?...read more
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more