The Gentle WayWhat does it look like for you to live out Jesus’ gentleness before others?
Top Christian Music Videos
If you keep yourself pure . . . your life will be clean, and you will be ready for the Master to use you for every good work (v.21).
Have you ever been dining at a restaurant—sitting before a plate of appetizing, mouth-watering food, when suddenly you discovered (to your horror) that your utensils were encrusted with food from a previous patron? Yuck! That plate of food suddenly didn’t appear to be so delicious after all. Upset, perhaps even angry, you likely expected a set of clean utensils, the meal to be replaced, an apology, or even a full refund.Just as we won’t use dirty utensils, God won’t use us if we’re not “clean.” Timothy was told by Paul that usefulness is contingent upon cleanliness. “If you keep yourself pure, you will be a special utensil for honorable use. Your life will be clean, and you will be ready for the Master to use you for every good work” (2 Timothy 2:21). Our cleansing must precede our service for God (Numbers 8:21-22; Isaiah 6:5-8; Jeremiah 15:19). Purity precedes utility.We must do two things to become cleansed, sanctified, and useful utensils: First, we should “run from anything that stimulates youthful lusts” (2 Timothy 2:22). These are passions or desires that begin in youth, but don’t end when we move into adulthood. We don’t outgrow them. Instead, they may continue to plague us as adults—often with greater regularity and intensity. But we’re to resist more than sexual temptation. John wrote that we’re also to run from all wrong desires—the lure of pleasures, power, position, possessions, and pride (1 John 2:15-16).Second, we’re to run after “righteous living, faithfulness, love, and peace” and “the companionship of those who call on the Lord with pure hearts” (2 Timothy 2:22).Cleansed and useful Christians are persistent runners, continually fleeing evil and pursuing a godly life (1 Timothy 6:11).
What “youthful lusts” are you battling even now? How will you resist them? What “good work” can you do for the Master this week?
- The Gentle Way - What does it look like for you to live out Jesus’ gentleness before others?...read more
- Fireworks and Mercy - How does it make you feel to know that God understands your human frailty and has mercy on you?...read more
- Happy at You - Do you know deep down that God loves you dearly?...read more
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more