Laying Down Our LivesWhat sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?
Top Christian Music Videos
If you keep yourself pure . . . your life will be clean, and you will be ready for the Master to use you for every good work (v.21).
Have you ever been dining at a restaurant—sitting before a plate of appetizing, mouth-watering food, when suddenly you discovered (to your horror) that your utensils were encrusted with food from a previous patron? Yuck! That plate of food suddenly didn’t appear to be so delicious after all. Upset, perhaps even angry, you likely expected a set of clean utensils, the meal to be replaced, an apology, or even a full refund.Just as we won’t use dirty utensils, God won’t use us if we’re not “clean.” Timothy was told by Paul that usefulness is contingent upon cleanliness. “If you keep yourself pure, you will be a special utensil for honorable use. Your life will be clean, and you will be ready for the Master to use you for every good work” (2 Timothy 2:21). Our cleansing must precede our service for God (Numbers 8:21-22; Isaiah 6:5-8; Jeremiah 15:19). Purity precedes utility.We must do two things to become cleansed, sanctified, and useful utensils: First, we should “run from anything that stimulates youthful lusts” (2 Timothy 2:22). These are passions or desires that begin in youth, but don’t end when we move into adulthood. We don’t outgrow them. Instead, they may continue to plague us as adults—often with greater regularity and intensity. But we’re to resist more than sexual temptation. John wrote that we’re also to run from all wrong desires—the lure of pleasures, power, position, possessions, and pride (1 John 2:15-16).Second, we’re to run after “righteous living, faithfulness, love, and peace” and “the companionship of those who call on the Lord with pure hearts” (2 Timothy 2:22).Cleansed and useful Christians are persistent runners, continually fleeing evil and pursuing a godly life (1 Timothy 6:11).
What “youthful lusts” are you battling even now? How will you resist them? What “good work” can you do for the Master this week?
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more