Clueless at the LightWhat would others say about my influence on them?
Top Music Videos
If you keep yourself pure . . . your life will be clean, and you will be ready for the Master to use you for every good work (v.21).
Have you ever been dining at a restaurant—sitting before a plate of appetizing, mouth-watering food, when suddenly you discovered (to your horror) that your utensils were encrusted with food from a previous patron? Yuck! That plate of food suddenly didn’t appear to be so delicious after all. Upset, perhaps even angry, you likely expected a set of clean utensils, the meal to be replaced, an apology, or even a full refund.Just as we won’t use dirty utensils, God won’t use us if we’re not “clean.” Timothy was told by Paul that usefulness is contingent upon cleanliness. “If you keep yourself pure, you will be a special utensil for honorable use. Your life will be clean, and you will be ready for the Master to use you for every good work” (2 Timothy 2:21). Our cleansing must precede our service for God (Numbers 8:21-22; Isaiah 6:5-8; Jeremiah 15:19). Purity precedes utility.We must do two things to become cleansed, sanctified, and useful utensils: First, we should “run from anything that stimulates youthful lusts” (2 Timothy 2:22). These are passions or desires that begin in youth, but don’t end when we move into adulthood. We don’t outgrow them. Instead, they may continue to plague us as adults—often with greater regularity and intensity. But we’re to resist more than sexual temptation. John wrote that we’re also to run from all wrong desires—the lure of pleasures, power, position, possessions, and pride (1 John 2:15-16).Second, we’re to run after “righteous living, faithfulness, love, and peace” and “the companionship of those who call on the Lord with pure hearts” (2 Timothy 2:22).Cleansed and useful Christians are persistent runners, continually fleeing evil and pursuing a godly life (1 Timothy 6:11).
What “youthful lusts” are you battling even now? How will you resist them? What “good work” can you do for the Master this week?
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more