Meaning MirageWhere do you typically find meaning in life?
Top Christian Music Videos
There is more hope for a fool than for someone who speaks without thinking (29:20).
Have you ever been having a heated conversation with someone and impulsively said something mean? As soon as the words left your mouth, you knew the kind of negative impact they would have on the person. You then realized you had thrust a “sword” that could never be retracted. Or, have you ever done something (not necessarily a sin), only to realize later that you acted hastily and your action could not be erased? The Bible described this type of behavior as rashness—acting without careful consideration of the possible consequences or risks. Although things said and done rashly are not always sinful, they generally show a lack of wisdom (Proverbs 19:2), are linked with quickness to anger (14:29), and are open invitations to being shamed (25:8). There are many biblical examples of this type of behavior and its subsequent consequences in Scripture. Jepthah acted with rashness when he made a vow to sacrifice the first person or animal he saw coming out of his house to meet him (Judges 11:31-39). Uzzah reached out and touched the ark of the covenant (2 Samuel 6:6-7). Rashness seized Moses and caused him to strike the rock (Numbers 20:10-12). It also motivated James and John to call down fire against the Samaritans (Luke 9:53-54), and it impelled Peter to cut off Malchus’s ear (Matthew 26:51-53). Here are some antidotes for rashness: acknowledge and submit to the sovereign rule of God, trust His guiding presence, and appreciate the importance of considered and well thought-through speech and actions. When we’re filled with the Holy Spirit and experience His fruit (Galatians 5:22-23), our rash ways will go away. So, as the apostle James said, let’s “be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry” (1:19).
Read Proverbs 12:18 and notice what metaphor or word picture is associated with rashness.
In what current life situations do you need to be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry? What do our rash actions say about our relationship with God?
- Meaning Mirage - Where do you typically find meaning in life?...read more
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more