Not about FameHow has Jesus changed your life?
Top Christian Music Videos
Language of the Heart
What you say flows from what is in your heart (v.45).
I’m more impressed by works than by words, which I often gloss over as nothing more than hot air. I’ve said, “Talk is cheap!” and “Don’t talk the talk if you won’t walk the walk.” According to the apostle James we’re right to value works over mere words. He reminds us that it does no good to tell a poor brother, “Stay warm and eat well” if we “don’t give that person any food or clothing” (James 2:16).
But my prejudice against words left me unprepared for the words of Jesus. He told His disciples that you can tell a tree by its fruit, for just as fig trees grow figs and grape vines sprout grapes, so “a good person produces good things from the treasury of a good heart, and an evil person produces evil things from the treasury of an evil heart.” I assumed Jesus was speaking about works—did my actions show that I was a good or an evil tree? But Jesus’ next sentence indicated that the fruit He had in mind was my words, for “what you say flows from what is in your heart” (Luke 6:45).
Words form the bridge from our heart to our works. What we do (works) arises from what we think (words), which is prompted by who we are (heart). If you want to know what’s going on deep inside, pay attention to your words. Do your words contain a hard edge of anger or cynicism? Are they inflated with pride or deflated with pessimism? Is your style so sarcastic that even friends can’t tell whether you’re joking or not? Do you delight in dirty words, the hushed tones of gossip or the shady words of ‘rumor’?
Study your words to diagnose your heart. Ask God to heal your hurts before your words—then your works will not hurt others.
How have you been surprised by the words that came out of your mouth? What do those words indicate about the condition of your heart? What should you do next?
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more
- Breaking Toward Freedom - Where are you experiencing a need for freedom?...read more