Laying Down Our LivesWhat sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?
Top Christian Music Videos
Language of the Heart
What you say flows from what is in your heart (v.45).
I’m more impressed by works than by words, which I often gloss over as nothing more than hot air. I’ve said, “Talk is cheap!” and “Don’t talk the talk if you won’t walk the walk.” According to the apostle James we’re right to value works over mere words. He reminds us that it does no good to tell a poor brother, “Stay warm and eat well” if we “don’t give that person any food or clothing” (James 2:16).
But my prejudice against words left me unprepared for the words of Jesus. He told His disciples that you can tell a tree by its fruit, for just as fig trees grow figs and grape vines sprout grapes, so “a good person produces good things from the treasury of a good heart, and an evil person produces evil things from the treasury of an evil heart.” I assumed Jesus was speaking about works—did my actions show that I was a good or an evil tree? But Jesus’ next sentence indicated that the fruit He had in mind was my words, for “what you say flows from what is in your heart” (Luke 6:45).
Words form the bridge from our heart to our works. What we do (works) arises from what we think (words), which is prompted by who we are (heart). If you want to know what’s going on deep inside, pay attention to your words. Do your words contain a hard edge of anger or cynicism? Are they inflated with pride or deflated with pessimism? Is your style so sarcastic that even friends can’t tell whether you’re joking or not? Do you delight in dirty words, the hushed tones of gossip or the shady words of ‘rumor’?
Study your words to diagnose your heart. Ask God to heal your hurts before your words—then your works will not hurt others.
How have you been surprised by the words that came out of your mouth? What do those words indicate about the condition of your heart? What should you do next?
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more