Test of CourageRead Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God.
Top Christian Music Videos
Give Me the Hill
I am as strong now as I was when Moses sent me on that journey, and I can still travel and fight as well as I could then. So give me the hill country that the Lord promised me (vv.11-12).
I climbed 3 meters up the massive wooden pole and froze in fear. The platform was still 10 meters higher. From the ground, a small crowd was yelling encouragement. “You can do it!” they shouted. “I know I can,” I replied. “I’m just not sure I want to.”
But I knew I had to because two of the encouragers were Al and Thelma, a couple of 75 year olds who had made the climb and rode the zip wire cable while strapped into their harnesses just moments before. They were adorable as they stepped off the twin platforms and sailed down the parallel wires together. Al confessed that he was too scared to feel the romance, but his example meant there was no way I could back down. So when my wife shouted encouragement to me from her pole, I told myself, “Don’t look down!” and started climbing.
I’m glad I overcame my fear of heights that day, but I’m even happier that I made friends with Al and Thelma—senior saints who haven’t lost their enthusiasm for life. They remind me of Caleb, who believed the Lord’s promise when others saw only giants in the land (Numbers 13:30). “Don’t be afraid of them!” he told the Israelites. “If the Lord is pleased with us, He will bring us safely into that land and give it to us” (Numbers 14:8).
Decades later—at the retirement age of 85—Caleb had not given up on his dream (Joshua 14:10). Perhaps he was hearing whispers that he should put away his sword, for he told Joshua that not only could he still fight, but he preferred the challenging “hill country” of the mighty Amalekites (v.12).
Do you know any Calebs? Honor them. Learn from them. Ask if you can fight alongside them as they take the next hill.
Read Titus 2:1 to learn how young Christians should relate to older saints.
What older Christians do you know who have retired to the sidelines? How might you encourage them to be active in their faith?
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more
- Breaking Toward Freedom - Where are you experiencing a need for freedom?...read more
- A Spiritual Powerlift - How are you practicing walking in the power of the Holy Spirit?...read more
- Avoiding Ditches - What distractions are you facing?...read more
- Leading Somewhere Good - How are you seeking to walk with God today?...read more