The Shepherd's VoiceHave you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?
Top Christian Music Videos
Do not aggravate your children, or they will become discouraged (v.21).
Amy Chua’s 7-year-old daughter Lulu was struggling to master a difficult piece of classical piano music. When she gave up, her mother ordered her back to the piano, threatening to dispose of the little girl’s dolls’ house if the piece wasn’t perfect by the next day. The threats continued: no lunch, dinner, or holiday presents—and no birthday parties for several years. Lulu was told to “stop being lazy, cowardly, self-indulgent, and pathetic.” Her mother became hoarse from yelling. But then suddenly, “out of the blue,” as her mother put it, Lulu was able to play the piece beautifully.
Is it okay to harshly and excessively pressure our children to perform if we think the results will benefit them in the long run? As a self-proclaimed “Tiger Mum,” Amy Chua’s fierce parenting style says: Yes! Yet the Bible says, “Do not aggravate your children, or they will become discouraged” (Colossians 3:21). Demanding perfection is one way to provoke our children and dishearten them.
It’s important to remember that God doesn’t treat us this way. Rather, “The Lord is like a father to His children, tender and compassionate to those who fear Him” (Psalms 103:13). Reflecting on our own experiences with God’s grace can help us as we parent our children.
Along with God’s example, we have His instructions on how to treat people. Our children have much to gain when we “clothe [our]selves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience” (Colossians 3:12). And, “above all, clothe [our]selves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony” (v.14).
Harmony is often hard to achieve when it comes to working with our children. As children who have sampled our heavenly Father’s grace and love, however, we can discipline, train and teach our children in a way that makes Him proud.
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
How does your relationship with your heavenly Father impact the way you interact with children? How might you show them grace today?
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more