Laying Our Lives DownHow has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?
Top Music Videos
Let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of His return is drawing near (v.25).
I went through a phase where I stopped going to church. I had no friends yet in the new city where I had moved and I simply didn’t want to walk into a sanctuary alone. The longer I put off taking steps to meet people and to get involved with the body of Christ in my new community, the more isolated I became and the more I struggled in my faith.During that season of my life, I missed out on the encouragement the writer of Hebrews says I—and all believers—need in order to remain hopeful and strong in our walk with the Lord (Hebrews 10:23).Now, there certainly are times when we should temporarily embrace solitude to study, to pray, to concentrate, and more. But then returning to fellowship with others helps us keep our grip on the “hope we affirm” and maintain our confidence that “God can be trusted to keep His promises” (v.23). Lack of fellowship keeps us from experiencing the motivation from others to do “acts of love and good works” (v.24).Paul so deeply recognized the need to commune with believers that he weathered storms and traveled hundreds of miles to be with his brothers and sisters in Christ. He told them, “For I long to visit you so I can bring you some spiritual gift that will help you grow strong in the Lord. When we get together, I want to encourage you in your faith, but I also want to be encouraged by yours” (Romans 1:11).When believers come together and devote themselves to “the apostles’ teaching, and to fellowship, and to sharing in meals (including the Lord’s Supper), and to prayer,” as nearly 3,000 did in Romans 1:11, a “deep sense of awe” in the Lord can be experienced. We need true community in Jesus.
Read Romans 1:13 and note how Paul persevered to spend time with a community of believers in Jesus.
Why did the writer of Hebrews encourage believers to spend time in community? What will happen if you draw closer to other believers in your local church?
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more