Raise the Temperature
Top Music Videos
Let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of His return is drawing near (v.25).
I went through a phase where I stopped going to church. I had no friends yet in the new city where I had moved and I simply didn’t want to walk into a sanctuary alone. The longer I put off taking steps to meet people and to get involved with the body of Christ in my new community, the more isolated I became and the more I struggled in my faith.During that season of my life, I missed out on the encouragement the writer of Hebrews says I—and all believers—need in order to remain hopeful and strong in our walk with the Lord (Hebrews 10:23).Now, there certainly are times when we should temporarily embrace solitude to study, to pray, to concentrate, and more. But then returning to fellowship with others helps us keep our grip on the “hope we affirm” and maintain our confidence that “God can be trusted to keep His promises” (v.23). Lack of fellowship keeps us from experiencing the motivation from others to do “acts of love and good works” (v.24).Paul so deeply recognized the need to commune with believers that he weathered storms and traveled hundreds of miles to be with his brothers and sisters in Christ. He told them, “For I long to visit you so I can bring you some spiritual gift that will help you grow strong in the Lord. When we get together, I want to encourage you in your faith, but I also want to be encouraged by yours” (Romans 1:11).When believers come together and devote themselves to “the apostles’ teaching, and to fellowship, and to sharing in meals (including the Lord’s Supper), and to prayer,” as nearly 3,000 did in Romans 1:11, a “deep sense of awe” in the Lord can be experienced. We need true community in Jesus.
Read Romans 1:13 and note how Paul persevered to spend time with a community of believers in Jesus.
Why did the writer of Hebrews encourage believers to spend time in community? What will happen if you draw closer to other believers in your local church?
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more