Top Music Videos
So when your faith remains strong through many trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world (v.7).
Tukutana, the nonprofit organization I direct in East Africa, is funding the education of a young lady named Acayo Sarah. She survived one of Africa’s longest-running wars in history, but not without wounds. When Sarah was just 13 years old, the LRA (Lord’s Resistance Army) rebels attacked her village in northern Uganda. After killing her mother and father in front of her, the ruthless men abducted, raped, and impregnated Sarah. Just before her baby was born, Sarah managed to escape from her captors and fled to her uncle’s village.
As I’ve gotten to know Sarah in the aftermath of the horrors that stripped her of family and innocence, I have developed the deepest respect for the teenage girl. Sarah’s joy and determination to complete school—so she can devote her future to helping others—shouts the essence of 1 Peter 1:5:
• Your faith will be visible to all (v.5).
• Wonderful joy lies ahead, even though you have to endure many trials for a little while (v.6).
• Your trials will lead to genuine faith (v.7).
• Your strong faith, through trials, will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world (v.7).
I marvel at Sarah’s faith and strength in Jesus Christ— faith that has been proven victorious over the darkest of crimes committed against her (Romans 8:37). Indeed, Sarah confidently trusts the Lord to take care of her (Psalms 27:1).
When trials come our way, let’s be careful not to throw away our confident trust in the Lord. Instead, let’s ask God for the patient endurance that we need to face the tough times.
What would your faith look like, in the midst of a trial, if you held “tightly without wavering to the hope [you] affirm”? (Hebrews 10:23).
Pray for Sarah and other brothers and sisters in Christ who have faced extreme hardships and yet are moving forward, faithfully trusting the Lord. What will help you experience victorious faith?
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more