Powerful PatienceHow can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?
Top Music Videos
So when your faith remains strong through many trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world (v.7).
Tukutana, the nonprofit organization I direct in East Africa, is funding the education of a young lady named Acayo Sarah. She survived one of Africa’s longest-running wars in history, but not without wounds. When Sarah was just 13 years old, the LRA (Lord’s Resistance Army) rebels attacked her village in northern Uganda. After killing her mother and father in front of her, the ruthless men abducted, raped, and impregnated Sarah. Just before her baby was born, Sarah managed to escape from her captors and fled to her uncle’s village.
As I’ve gotten to know Sarah in the aftermath of the horrors that stripped her of family and innocence, I have developed the deepest respect for the teenage girl. Sarah’s joy and determination to complete school—so she can devote her future to helping others—shouts the essence of 1 Peter 1:5:
• Your faith will be visible to all (v.5).
• Wonderful joy lies ahead, even though you have to endure many trials for a little while (v.6).
• Your trials will lead to genuine faith (v.7).
• Your strong faith, through trials, will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world (v.7).
I marvel at Sarah’s faith and strength in Jesus Christ— faith that has been proven victorious over the darkest of crimes committed against her (Romans 8:37). Indeed, Sarah confidently trusts the Lord to take care of her (Psalms 27:1).
When trials come our way, let’s be careful not to throw away our confident trust in the Lord. Instead, let’s ask God for the patient endurance that we need to face the tough times.
What would your faith look like, in the midst of a trial, if you held “tightly without wavering to the hope [you] affirm”? (Hebrews 10:23).
Pray for Sarah and other brothers and sisters in Christ who have faced extreme hardships and yet are moving forward, faithfully trusting the Lord. What will help you experience victorious faith?
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more
- Broken Down & Built Up - What might God be accomplishing in your life through a recent difficult experience?...read more