The Shepherd's VoiceHave you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?
Top Christian Music Videos
So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time
we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up (v.9).
My 12-year-old son’s teacher asked his class what
age they would like to be. Most of his friends
shared that they preferred the freedom that came
with being older, but my son said he wanted to be 9 again
because his classmates were kinder then and swore less. I
winced a little for his end of innocence, and I pondered the
inevitable life changes that each person must face.
Everyone begins life tainted by sin, with roughly the
same moral character. There is no discernible difference
between the babies of godly parents and the infants
born into dysfunctional families. Besides the occasional
undisciplined brat, most toddlers are a similar grab bag
of cute and crabby. But the seeds that are planted at this
age slowly germinate throughout childhood until they
burst through in adolescence and blossom into a fully
formed man or woman.
Paul assures us that the law of the harvest is never
broken. Those who sow seeds of lust and pride will reap
a deadly bent toward selfishness, for “You will always
harvest what you plant” (Galatians 6:7). Toddlers who are
never disciplined may grow up to be socially maladjusted,
while children who watch adult movies struggle with
twisted views of violence and sex.
Thankfully, the law of the harvest also works in the
other direction. Paul explains that “those who live to
please the Spirit will harvest everlasting life from the
Spirit” (v.8). And just as it may take some time for the seeds of sin to show their
fruit, we must patiently wait for our good choices to flower for all to see.
Others may not notice your change right away, but give it time. Your decision
to live for Jesus today will determine who you are tomorrow. People will notice.
As Job 4:8 declares, “My experience shows that those who plant trouble and
cultivate evil will harvest the same.”
Proverbs is full of wise sayings that illustrate the law of the harvest.
Read Proverbs 22:1 to learn what seeds you should be planting today
and the ones you should avoid.
What weeds do you need to root out of your life? What good seeds,
with God’s help, should you plant in their place?
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more