Spiritual StrugglesWhen you struggle spiritually, how do you react?
Top Music Videos
So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time
we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up (v.9).
My 12-year-old son’s teacher asked his class what
age they would like to be. Most of his friends
shared that they preferred the freedom that came
with being older, but my son said he wanted to be 9 again
because his classmates were kinder then and swore less. I
winced a little for his end of innocence, and I pondered the
inevitable life changes that each person must face.
Everyone begins life tainted by sin, with roughly the
same moral character. There is no discernible difference
between the babies of godly parents and the infants
born into dysfunctional families. Besides the occasional
undisciplined brat, most toddlers are a similar grab bag
of cute and crabby. But the seeds that are planted at this
age slowly germinate throughout childhood until they
burst through in adolescence and blossom into a fully
formed man or woman.
Paul assures us that the law of the harvest is never
broken. Those who sow seeds of lust and pride will reap
a deadly bent toward selfishness, for “You will always
harvest what you plant” (Galatians 6:7). Toddlers who are
never disciplined may grow up to be socially maladjusted,
while children who watch adult movies struggle with
twisted views of violence and sex.
Thankfully, the law of the harvest also works in the
other direction. Paul explains that “those who live to
please the Spirit will harvest everlasting life from the
Spirit” (v.8). And just as it may take some time for the seeds of sin to show their
fruit, we must patiently wait for our good choices to flower for all to see.
Others may not notice your change right away, but give it time. Your decision
to live for Jesus today will determine who you are tomorrow. People will notice.
As Job 4:8 declares, “My experience shows that those who plant trouble and
cultivate evil will harvest the same.”
Proverbs is full of wise sayings that illustrate the law of the harvest.
Read Proverbs 22:1 to learn what seeds you should be planting today
and the ones you should avoid.
What weeds do you need to root out of your life? What good seeds,
with God’s help, should you plant in their place?
- Spiritual Struggles - When you struggle spiritually, how do you react?...read more
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more