Sweet MusicWhat things have you been trying to handle without prayer?
Top Music Videos
The best time to buy stocks is also the most difficult. It takes guts to invest in a bear market (a down market), but savvy investors find bargains on some solid stocks and buy even when everyone else is selling. And when the market comes back, they're poised to do very well in their investment.
Jeremiah wasn't dealing stock, but he did once offer a plot of land at the worst possible time. The armies of Babylon were besieging Jerusalem and would soon capture and burn the city. But even though the immediate future was gloomy, God told Jeremiah to buy the field as a sign that "someday people will again own property here in this land and will buy and sell houses and vineyards and fields" (32:15).
Judah, in the short-term, would suffer many bumps in the road, but her end was guaranteed. God promised Jeremiah that He would bring His people back to this once proud city, where they would "live in peace and safety" (32:37) as the children of God. Believing that God would "faithfully and wholeheartedly replant them in this land" (v.41), Jeremiah paid 17 pieces of silver for the field (v.9). By doing so, he showed his confidence in the promises of God.
God has promised that our entire world will "become the kingdom of our Lord and of His Christ" (Revelation 11:15). If we believe that, we will confidently expend our lives for Jesus even when things seem bleak.
We reflect this long-term kingdom view when we joyfully obey our Lord and love our neighbor as ourselves: offering customers only the deals they can afford, keeping our word when it hurts, investing our time and money in those who are in need, disciplining our children with calm patience and praying more, not less, when evil appears to be gaining ground.
, Mike Wittmer, Our Daily Journey
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more