Clueless at the LightWhat would others say about my influence on them?
Top Music Videos
Believe In Miracles?
All the people of the earth are nothing compared to Him. He
does as He pleases among the angels of heaven and among
the people of the earth (v.35).
During the 1980 Winter Olympic Games, Al Michaels
covered the hockey venue for ABC Sports. The
network could have used other broadcasters, but
Michaels got the nod because he was the only announcer
on staff who had experience calling a hockey game.
Michaels had called one game 8 years earlier.
His assignment allowed Michaels to announce the
February 22, 1980, medal-round match between the
United States and the Soviet Union that has come to
be known as the Miracle on Ice. In the closing seconds
of the United States’ improbable victory, Michaels
enthusiastically stated what has become a memorable
phrase, “Do you believe in miracles? Yes!”
Years later, Michaels chalked up this “highlight” of his
career to “dumb luck.” He added, “Without calling that one
hockey game, I could have ended up covering the biathlon.
And there were no miracles at the biathlon that year.”
While Michael’s humility is admirable, there is another
explanation. When life comes together in remarkable
ways, it is more about divine sovereignty than blind fate.
Daniel records the remarkable events of the life of King
Nebuchadnezzar. After rising to the throne of Babylon and
becoming utterly full of himself, his kingdom was ripped
away by God, who caused him to completely lose touch
with reality (Daniel 4:28-33). It wasn’t until 7 years later,
after a humbled Nebuchadnezzar acknowledged God’s
sovereignty, that his sanity and kingdom were restored (vv.34-37).
Nebuchadnezzar didn’t consider this surprising turn of events as random.
The experience taught him that the results of life are ultimately in God’s hands.
Nothing happens outside of the ultimate control of the One who “causes
everything to work together for the good of those who love [Him] and are called
according to His purpose for them” (Romans 8:28).
Read Genesis 50:20 and see what God revealed
to Joseph about purpose in pain.
How can you better spot the undeniable hand
of God in the events of your life? What has He
brought about in your life this past week?
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more