Starting OverHave you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?
Top Music Videos
Believe In Miracles?
All the people of the earth are nothing compared to Him. He
does as He pleases among the angels of heaven and among
the people of the earth (v.35).
During the 1980 Winter Olympic Games, Al Michaels
covered the hockey venue for ABC Sports. The
network could have used other broadcasters, but
Michaels got the nod because he was the only announcer
on staff who had experience calling a hockey game.
Michaels had called one game 8 years earlier.
His assignment allowed Michaels to announce the
February 22, 1980, medal-round match between the
United States and the Soviet Union that has come to
be known as the Miracle on Ice. In the closing seconds
of the United States’ improbable victory, Michaels
enthusiastically stated what has become a memorable
phrase, “Do you believe in miracles? Yes!”
Years later, Michaels chalked up this “highlight” of his
career to “dumb luck.” He added, “Without calling that one
hockey game, I could have ended up covering the biathlon.
And there were no miracles at the biathlon that year.”
While Michael’s humility is admirable, there is another
explanation. When life comes together in remarkable
ways, it is more about divine sovereignty than blind fate.
Daniel records the remarkable events of the life of King
Nebuchadnezzar. After rising to the throne of Babylon and
becoming utterly full of himself, his kingdom was ripped
away by God, who caused him to completely lose touch
with reality (Daniel 4:28-33). It wasn’t until 7 years later,
after a humbled Nebuchadnezzar acknowledged God’s
sovereignty, that his sanity and kingdom were restored (vv.34-37).
Nebuchadnezzar didn’t consider this surprising turn of events as random.
The experience taught him that the results of life are ultimately in God’s hands.
Nothing happens outside of the ultimate control of the One who “causes
everything to work together for the good of those who love [Him] and are called
according to His purpose for them” (Romans 8:28).
Read Genesis 50:20 and see what God revealed
to Joseph about purpose in pain.
How can you better spot the undeniable hand
of God in the events of your life? What has He
brought about in your life this past week?
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more
- Hope Awakening - Do you tend to see the glass as half empty or half full?...read more