Stinging WordsHow have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?
Top Music Videos
What God Looks Like
Christ is the visible image of the invisible God (v.15).
In March of 2012, Americans listened with regret and repulsion as we heard reports of an American soldier in Afghanistan who went on a killing spree in a rural Afghan village. This rogue soldier massacred 16 civilian Afghanis.
This is an absolute horror. The aftermath compounds our grief because these evil actions (and several other travesties) will, for some, define American ideals to our Afghani neighbors. Because of the actions of one violent man, many will believe that Americans are filled with hatred and are to be feared. Who can blame them? When someone acts in our name or on our behalf, we’re represented by their actions.
In a way, we could say that God represented Himself (and His reputation) in Jesus—the Son of God who has been part of God’s work in the world from the beginning. Through Jesus, God “created everything” (Colossians 1:16). Through Jesus, God rules over “thrones, kingdoms, rulers, and authorities” (v.16). In Jesus, we see God in action.
Jesus, however, does more than represent God. Rather, Jesus actually embodies Him. Jesus Christ shows us what God looks like. Jesus is the visibility of Him—God with skin on.As Paul says, “God in all His fullness was pleased to live in Christ” (v.19).
If we want to know what God is like, we look first at Jesus Christ. We can’t know all there is to know of God, not by a long shot. But we can know a lot. We know that He is full of love. We know that He cares for justice and rebukes hypocrisy. We know that He loves the outcasts and misfits. We know that He heals the sick and forgives the sinner and longs for us to experience life to the full.
We know that Goddoes all these things because Jesus does all these things.
Pick any story in one of the four gospels. Read the story slowly with this question in mind: What does Jesus’ action and heart reveal to me about God?
What is your biggest question about God’s will or God’s love for you? What does Jesus’ life and teaching say to your question?
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more
- Time for Tea! - What situations frustrate you?...read more