Run with It!Jesus is the author of life.
Top Christian Music Videos
2 Timothy 3:10-17
All Scripture is inspired
by God and is useful to
teach us what is true and
to make us realize what
is wrong in our lives
The new eco-friendly dish detergent was superconcentrated,
so I squirted much less than usual
into the dishwasher. I cranked the knob and walked
away. Minutes later, I heard a gurgling noise. Suds were
bubbling out of the dishwasher and cascading onto the
floor. After sopping up the mess, I read the label on
the container: “Not for use with automatic dishwashers.
Hand-wash only.” Ugh . . .
Sadly, my approach to life is often the same as my
approach to washing the dishes—I jump right in without
reading the directions. But God’s Word contains the
instructions we need (Leviticus 18:5).
Paul pointed out that the Bible “teaches us to do what
is right” (2 Timothy 3:16). In another letter, he outlined
some of the basics: “Live peacefully with each other.
. . . Encourage those who are timid. Take tender care
of those who are weak. Be patient with everyone. . . .
Always be joyful. Never stop praying. Be thankful in all
circumstances” (1 Thessalonians 5:13-16).
The Bible also makes us “realize what is wrong in our
lives” (2 Timothy 3:16). Since “the Word of God is alive
and powerful” (Hebrews 4:12), it speaks to us when
we’re drooling over the neighbor’s new car . . . you
must not covet. It whispers, you must not steal, when we
could easily exaggerate business expenses. God’s Word
shows us our sin (Romans 7:7).
When I become blind to my sin and when I “forget” how God wants me to
live, His Word reminds me. The more I read the Bible, the more Scripture soaks
into my soul, where it can cleanse my conduct. This is how as Christians we
become “[equipped] . . . to do every good work” (2 Timothy 3:17).
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Read Psalm 119:97-104
to see the benefits of
reading God’s Word.
8:11-14 to learn why it’s
important to read and
remember God’s Word.
What’s the connection
between reading the
Bible and a Godhonoring
is it so difficult to read the
Bible regularly? How can
you read God’s Word
- Run with It! - Jesus is the author of life....read more
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more