The Shepherd's VoiceHave you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?
Top Christian Music Videos
2 Timothy 3:10-17
All Scripture is inspired
by God and is useful to
teach us what is true and
to make us realize what
is wrong in our lives
The new eco-friendly dish detergent was superconcentrated,
so I squirted much less than usual
into the dishwasher. I cranked the knob and walked
away. Minutes later, I heard a gurgling noise. Suds were
bubbling out of the dishwasher and cascading onto the
floor. After sopping up the mess, I read the label on
the container: “Not for use with automatic dishwashers.
Hand-wash only.” Ugh . . .
Sadly, my approach to life is often the same as my
approach to washing the dishes—I jump right in without
reading the directions. But God’s Word contains the
instructions we need (Leviticus 18:5).
Paul pointed out that the Bible “teaches us to do what
is right” (2 Timothy 3:16). In another letter, he outlined
some of the basics: “Live peacefully with each other.
. . . Encourage those who are timid. Take tender care
of those who are weak. Be patient with everyone. . . .
Always be joyful. Never stop praying. Be thankful in all
circumstances” (1 Thessalonians 5:13-16).
The Bible also makes us “realize what is wrong in our
lives” (2 Timothy 3:16). Since “the Word of God is alive
and powerful” (Hebrews 4:12), it speaks to us when
we’re drooling over the neighbor’s new car . . . you
must not covet. It whispers, you must not steal, when we
could easily exaggerate business expenses. God’s Word
shows us our sin (Romans 7:7).
When I become blind to my sin and when I “forget” how God wants me to
live, His Word reminds me. The more I read the Bible, the more Scripture soaks
into my soul, where it can cleanse my conduct. This is how as Christians we
become “[equipped] . . . to do every good work” (2 Timothy 3:17).
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Read Psalm 119:97-104
to see the benefits of
reading God’s Word.
8:11-14 to learn why it’s
important to read and
remember God’s Word.
What’s the connection
between reading the
Bible and a Godhonoring
is it so difficult to read the
Bible regularly? How can
you read God’s Word
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more