Sweet MusicWhat things have you been trying to handle without prayer?
Top Music Videos
Sometimes the Bible puzzles me. For instance, the book of James starts out by telling us that when tough things happen, "consider it an opportunity for great joy" (James 1:2). Really? "Great joy?" I don't know about you, but sometimes even a little joy can be hard to come by.
I've wondered how a verse like this applies when someone we care about passes away? Personally, I don't think my heart has ever ached as much as when my brother's wife died of cancer. The pain I felt and saw in my brother and his children was, at times, unbearable. So when we lose someone to death, does the Bible tell us to quit hurting and just be happy? Thankfully, no. Our natural response when someone dies is to grieve. Jesus Himself grieved the loss of His dear friend Lazarus (John 11:35). But for those who know Jesus, grief is never the end of the story.
Just hours before He was tortured and put to death on a cross, Jesus informed His first followers, "You will weep and mourn over what is going to happen to Me, but the world will rejoice. You will grieve, but your grief will suddenly turn to wonderful joy" (John 16:20). Hmmm, grief that turns into joy. There it is again. But how is that possible? Jesus goes on to say, "So you have sorrow now, but I will see you again; then you will rejoice, and no one can rob you of that joy" (John 16:22).
As Christians, we can look at death differently. It doesn't take away the sting of our loss today, but the hope of a great reunion with those who have gone before us brings a true sense of joy that carries us through our pain. , Jeff Olson, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more