Spiritual StrugglesWhen you struggle spiritually, how do you react?
Top Music Videos
I laughed yesterday as I read Facebook comments written by a close friend and his wife. She updated her proï¬le to read, "I am grumpy for no good reason." Beneath it, alluding to Facebook's "like" button, my friend wrote: "They need an â€˜unlike button' for these types of things.
Although the above exchange is humorous, Israel's grumpy behavior in Numbers 14 was not funny in the eyes of God. As they whined and complained out of fear over false reports (Numbers 13:31-33), the Lord's anger meter was rising. As the people were weeping, crying, and protesting, He was fuming (14:2,10-11; Deuteronomy 9:7).
God was angry for at least two reasons: â€¢ Lack of faith in Him. The Israelites showed no faith in their God who had miraculously led them out of bondage in Egypt. They showed no trust by grumbling greatly (James 5:9). It got so bad that God was ready to annihilate them (Numbers 14:12).
â€¢ Lack of liking His provision. God's plans and provision should be received with joy and humility. The people, just like us at times, were rebellious and full of resentment instead of contentment (Numbers 11:6,21:5).
Fortunately, a fab four, Moses, Aaron, Joshua, and Caleb, revealed true trust in God and acceptance of where He was leading. These men showed the people, and us, what to do when we've caught a case of the grumpies: They bowed before God in repentance, seeking forgiveness (Numbers 14:5-6). They acknowledged His great love and His forgiving heart (Exodus 34:6-7; Numbers 14:18-19).
When we grumble and complain, we're rebelling against God and choosing selï¬shness over His abundant provision. Let's repent and follow Him with grateful hearts instead. , Tom Felten, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Spiritual Struggles - When you struggle spiritually, how do you react?...read more
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more