LaughterHow do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?
Top Music Videos
I laughed yesterday as I read Facebook comments written by a close friend and his wife. She updated her proï¬le to read, "I am grumpy for no good reason." Beneath it, alluding to Facebook's "like" button, my friend wrote: "They need an â€˜unlike button' for these types of things.
Although the above exchange is humorous, Israel's grumpy behavior in Numbers 14 was not funny in the eyes of God. As they whined and complained out of fear over false reports (Numbers 13:31-33), the Lord's anger meter was rising. As the people were weeping, crying, and protesting, He was fuming (14:2,10-11; Deuteronomy 9:7).
God was angry for at least two reasons: â€¢ Lack of faith in Him. The Israelites showed no faith in their God who had miraculously led them out of bondage in Egypt. They showed no trust by grumbling greatly (James 5:9). It got so bad that God was ready to annihilate them (Numbers 14:12).
â€¢ Lack of liking His provision. God's plans and provision should be received with joy and humility. The people, just like us at times, were rebellious and full of resentment instead of contentment (Numbers 11:6,21:5).
Fortunately, a fab four, Moses, Aaron, Joshua, and Caleb, revealed true trust in God and acceptance of where He was leading. These men showed the people, and us, what to do when we've caught a case of the grumpies: They bowed before God in repentance, seeking forgiveness (Numbers 14:5-6). They acknowledged His great love and His forgiving heart (Exodus 34:6-7; Numbers 14:18-19).
When we grumble and complain, we're rebelling against God and choosing selï¬shness over His abundant provision. Let's repent and follow Him with grateful hearts instead. , Tom Felten, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more