Sound SensitiveJust as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day.
Top Music Videos
The preacher asked his audience whether they believed he had a $20 bill in his closed hand. After a woman said that she believed he did, the speaker announced that he would destroy her faith by opening his hand and showing the money. "Now that you know I have a $20 bill," he said, "you can no longer have faith that I do."
If the preacher is correct, then the return of Christ will destroy the faith of His followers, for our faith will now be sight (2 Corinthians 5:7). And Jesus would not have told Thomas, "You believe because you have seen Me" (John 20:29), but rather "Because you have seen Me, you are no longer able to believe."
The preacher mistakenly thought that empirical proof destroys faith. Instead, proof strengthens faith by eliminating the uncertainty that often accompanies it (Hebrews 11:1). Firsthand evidence conï¬rms our knowledge, which bolsters our faith.
Faith is not the opposite of knowledge. Faith actually rests on knowledge. The more we know, the more we're able to believe. Knowledge itself is not sufï¬cient for faith, for even demons believe and tremble (James 2:19), but it's impossible to have faith without it.
Like the pilot of a hang glider who leaps off a cliff and trusts his survival to the sturdy construction of his glider and the principles of aerodynamics, we have faith only when we put our full trust in the promises of God.
Knowledge isn't enough. I may understand how hang gliding works and yet refuse to jump. But I won't take the leap of faith unless I know that hang gliding is a reliable sport. Likewise, I may know the promises of God and still not believe them. But it's impossible to believe them if I don't ï¬rst know them. Want stronger faith? Start by getting to know God. , Mike Wittmer, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more