Next StepsHave you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?
Top Christian Music Videos
Guard Your Heart
Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life (v.23).
Christianity is a religion of the heart. Once God has our heart, the rest of life flows. To God, the heart is central.
A cursory glance at the Bible shows this to be true. God doesn’t look at external appearances but at the heart (1 Samuel 1:7). He despises religious acts devoid of worship from the heart (Isaiah 29:13). God searches our heart (Psalms 139:23) and wants us to trust Him (Proverbs 3:5). The essence of His law is to love Him and others with all of our heart (Matthew 22:37).
Jesus took the Pharisees to task for promoting a religion of deeds without the heart. They thought they could hate and lust all they liked, as long as they didn’t commit the acts of murder or adultery (5:21-30, 43-48), but Jesus would have none of it. He said that our words and treasures reveal the true state of our hearts (6:21, 12:34). And He promised to unleash rivers of life from within after we invited Him to reside there (John 7:37).
Our heart is our essence—the deepest part of what is truly us. It’s the wellspring from which our dreams, desires, passions, motives, thoughts, emotions, decisions, and actions arise. So it’s no wonder that Scripture says to guard it! Our heart really does “determine the course” of our lives—both here and beyond.
So, guard your heart. Guard it from idols. For the heart is the place where the God we worship speaks. The true God will call you to acts of “love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control” (Galatians 5:22), while all other gods—whether money, sex, or power—will lead you astray.
In the end, guarding our heart requires not building a fence around it, but having the true God within it—pushing all rivals out.
Read Luke 4:1—the parable of the sower— and notice the central place the heart has in the story.
How are you prone to try to please God by your acts, rather than loving Him with all your heart? How will you guard your heart today?
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more