What Sets Us FreeDo you ever try to earn points with God?
Top Music Videos
Guard Your Heart
Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life (v.23).
Christianity is a religion of the heart. Once God has our heart, the rest of life flows. To God, the heart is central.
A cursory glance at the Bible shows this to be true. God doesn’t look at external appearances but at the heart (1 Samuel 1:7). He despises religious acts devoid of worship from the heart (Isaiah 29:13). God searches our heart (Psalms 139:23) and wants us to trust Him (Proverbs 3:5). The essence of His law is to love Him and others with all of our heart (Matthew 22:37).
Jesus took the Pharisees to task for promoting a religion of deeds without the heart. They thought they could hate and lust all they liked, as long as they didn’t commit the acts of murder or adultery (5:21-30, 43-48), but Jesus would have none of it. He said that our words and treasures reveal the true state of our hearts (6:21, 12:34). And He promised to unleash rivers of life from within after we invited Him to reside there (John 7:37).
Our heart is our essence—the deepest part of what is truly us. It’s the wellspring from which our dreams, desires, passions, motives, thoughts, emotions, decisions, and actions arise. So it’s no wonder that Scripture says to guard it! Our heart really does “determine the course” of our lives—both here and beyond.
So, guard your heart. Guard it from idols. For the heart is the place where the God we worship speaks. The true God will call you to acts of “love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control” (Galatians 5:22), while all other gods—whether money, sex, or power—will lead you astray.
In the end, guarding our heart requires not building a fence around it, but having the true God within it—pushing all rivals out.
Read Luke 4:1—the parable of the sower— and notice the central place the heart has in the story.
How are you prone to try to please God by your acts, rather than loving Him with all your heart? How will you guard your heart today?
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more