Prayerful RetreatHow often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?
Top Christian Music Videos
The Word of God
In the beginning the Word already existed. The Word was with God,
and the Word was God (v.1).
A person’s words are inseparable from the person
speaking them. Think about your own words.
They come from you and are uniquely yours.
Your words communicate your heart. They come from
your inner self—your soul—and express your ideas,
thoughts, feelings, and character. Your words are spoken
with your voice. They are sounded with your own unique
mix of accent, pitch, tone, and inflection. They’re made
with your breath, your lungs—from deep within you.
And your words have a certain creative power. They
can enter my mind and heart and make me laugh, cry,
question an old belief or believe something new.
I cannot speak your words as I cannot know your
deepest thoughts. I cannot swallow a lungful of your
breath and speak with your exact voice and accent. I am
not inside you. I am not you. Your words are uniquely
Now, think about the apostle John’s description of
Jesus as the “Word” of God:
The revelation of God. “He has revealed God to us,”
John says (John 1:18). “Anyone who has seen Me has
seen the Father,” says Jesus Himself (14:9).
The very voice and “breath” of God. “The words I
speak are not My own, but my Father who lives in Me
does His work through Me” (v.10).
The One who is Creator God. “God created
everything through Him, and nothing was created except through Him” (1:3).
No wonder John tells us that this Word wasn’t just “with” God at the beginning
of time, but “was” God (v.1). God’s Word is inseparable from Him. His Word is
Jesus is indeed the heart, soul, voice, breath, and creative power of God.
Reflect on these words in light of the above: “The very words I have spoken
to you are Spirit and life” (John 6:63).
How does Jesus being God’s “Word affect the way you speak and live?
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more