FearlessHow can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?
Top Christian Music Videos
1 Kings 11:1-13
He had warned Solomon specifically
about worshiping other gods, but Solomon did
not listen to the Lord’s command (v.10).
Potholes can be a pain. If a car tire hits a deep one,
we’re talking some serious damage. That’s why
the idea of Italian engineering students Domenico
Diego and Cristina Corradini is so bright—literally! The
duo, noting that many potholes in Europe aren’t repaired
due to lack of funding, have come up with something
called the Street Safe initiative. Their creative plan calls
for potholes to be painted bright yellow, an inexpensive
way to help drivers avoid big pits in the pavement.
God knew the “potholes” that Solomon needed to
avoid—things that could bring his kingdom down. “He
had warned [him] . . . but Solomon did not listen to the
Lord’s command” (1 Kings 11:10). Instead, the king who
was known for wisdom unwisely withdrew into isolation
with his “many foreign women” (v.1). God had warned
His people against marrying such women, for “they will
turn your hearts to their gods” (v.2; Exodus 34:12-17).
Solomon saw the potholes and still caved. And this
happened even after God had warned him on three
occasions to obey Him (talk about “bright yellow paint”!):
“Follow Me and obey My commands” (3:14); “Obey all
My decrees” (1 Kings 6:12); “Follow Me with integrity
and godliness” (9:4). Turning from God to the isolation
of his private pleasures and folly, Solomon chose sin, and
God’s subsequent discipline resulted in his kingdom being
taken from him (11:11).
When we turn from God—isolating ourselves from Him and godly friends—
we’re headed for destruction. Sometimes we think we can cuddle with sin or
keep it hidden, but God’s bright warnings can’t be avoided. Eventually, guilt will
sweep over us as God brings “our secret sins” to light (Psalm 51:2, 90:8).
Don’t fall into the pothole of isolation. Open up and let God and godly
friends help you repent of your secret sins. —Tom Felten
What does Hebrews
10:22 tell us about how
to deal with the guilt of
our sin? Read Luke 6:45
and—in the light of Jesus’
hidden in your heart.
How have you been
isolating yourself from
God and others? What
will you do to come out
of isolation and walk in
“integrity and godliness”?
(1 Kings 9:4).
Change The World by Dan Stevers
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more