True FellowshipWhat comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?
Top Music Videos
Blind Eyes & Burning Hearts
Didn’t our hearts burn within us as He talked with us on the road? (v.32).
If you want to humble me, all you need to do is hand me one of those Where’s Waldo? images—the ones where you attempt to locate the numerous places where the character Waldo blends into the scenery. I can stare at them for hours with little result. When someone finally points out Waldo’s location to me, it’s embarrassing to see him—right there in plain view! As theologian Stanley Hauerwas has said, “We do not see reality by just opening our eyes.”
On the day of Jesus’ resurrection, two of His followers walked the road to the village of Emmaus. They were filled with grief, “sadness written across their faces” (Luke 24:17). A stranger approached them, but this stranger was no stranger at all. It was Jesus, raised from the dead. The two disciples, however, didn’t recognize Him. It’s interesting that the biblical text doesn’t actually tell us if it was God or Satan or their own grief that blinded their eyes. I wonder if Luke purposefully left this detail open—allowing us to ponder the many ways we see Jesus without ever really seeing Him.
Whatever the reason for their blindness, Jesus would not leave them in the dark. To open their eyes, He explained “from all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself” (v.27). Then He gathered them around a table, broke and blessed bread, and offered it to them. This replicated the Last Supper, Jesus’ final meal before the cross.
In this powerful moment, the two travelers recognized their Lord! As the scales fell from their eyes, they remembered how their hearts had been aflame when Jesus conversed with them on the road. Their eyes were dim, but if they had only paid attention, their hearts would have shown them the truth. Sometimes, our blind eyes need to listen to our fire-lit hearts.
Read Paul’s prayer in Ephesians 1:15 (in the NIV, if possible). What connection does Paul make between our “eyes” and our “heart”? What does this mean?
Is your heart blinded or burning right now? Where do you need God to remove blindness and illumine your spiritual vision?
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more
- The Art of Joy - What has hindered you from experiencing joy this week?...read more