Meaning MirageWhere do you typically find meaning in life?
Top Christian Music Videos
Only fools say in their hearts, “There is no God.” They are corrupt,
and their actions are evil; not one of them does good! (v.1).
What do these famous men have in common:
Sigmund Freud, Jean-Paul Sartre, Bertrand
Russell, Karl Marx, Pablo Picasso, and Aldous
Huxley? They all declared that they did not believe in
God, and all were sexually promiscuous. Coincidence?
In The Making of an Atheist, James Spiegel explains
that many modern thinkers expressed doubts about God,
at least in part, because it made it easier for them to
continue in sin (Psalms 53:1). In an honest moment, Aldous
Huxley admitted, “For myself as, no doubt, for most of my
contemporaries, the philosophy of meaninglessness was
essentially an instrument of liberation. . . liberation from
a certain system of morality. We objected to the morality
because it interfered with our sexual freedom.”
Not all doubts about God arise from sin. There are
honest doubts that ambush our minds and haunt our
hearts. There are distressing questions that buckle our
knees in fear, and we will not rest until we solve them.
But if we think about the times we struggle with doubt,
it’s often when we have begun to coast in our walk with
Jesus. Prayer, meditating on Scripture, and worshiping with
fellow believers no longer capture our attention. We don’t
consciously live repentant lives that reveal a broken and
contrite heart that is truly seeking God (Psalms 51:3). Instead, we lash out at others with corrupt values, arrogance, bitterness, and
greed (Psalms 51:3).
Our sin has put us at risk. God no longer seems real to us, for we have usurped
His role in our lives. We’re troubled by our doubts about Him, but on one level we
may be relieved. If there’s no God, then we’re free to live as we want (Psalms 53:1). This
won’t solve every kind of doubt, but the first thing to do when struggling with doubt
is to search your life for unconfessed sin. Then repent (Psalms 51:7).
Read Psalms 51:12 and note the importance of seeking God’s strength to
live a holy, obedient life.
Examine the current condition of your heart for God. What is your
risk level for doubt? What can you do to prepare for doubt before
- Meaning Mirage - Where do you typically find meaning in life?...read more
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more