Powerful PatienceHow can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?
Top Music Videos
The Holocaust Museum in Washington, DC, supplies a stark reminder of how evil humans can be. I was stunned by the hall of shoes that had once been worn by doomed Jews; the story of the methodical elimination of innocents in Krakow's Jewish Ghetto; and the grisly death of prisoners in Hitler's concentration camps.
But most chilling was my recognition that the Nazi ofï¬cers looked normal. Worse, they looked like me. My ancestors were Swiss-German Mennonites, so I resembled the ofï¬cers in the pictures. They could have been my Sunday school teachers! How did such normal people get caught up in such a great evil? Somehow, they simply went along with it.
That's usually how great evils are committed. Pilate wasn't looking for trouble when Jesus was thrust upon him (Mark 15:1). He didn't realize who He was, and he didn't much care. He just wanted the problem to go away.
Pilate made a half-hearted attempt to do the right thing. He invited Jesus to refute the charges and asked the crowd if he should release Jesus as a Passover favor. But the Jewish leaders had stoked the crowd into a mob, and they demanded that Barabbas be freed and Jesus be cruciï¬ed. Pilate tried one last time, asking the crowd, "What crime has He committed?" When "the mob roared even louder, â€˜Crucify Him!' " (v.14), Pilate washed his hands of the mess (Matthew 27:24).
It was easier to give in to the cries of the moment than to seek justice for Jesus. Pilate simply went along, and in so doing he cruciï¬ed the Son of God.
Today Jesus is represented by the poor and needy who are thrust upon us (Matthew 25:31-46). Will we give them a hand or will we shrug and go along? , Mike Wittmer, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more
- Broken Down & Built Up - What might God be accomplishing in your life through a recent difficult experience?...read more