Rejoicing in Deep NeedWhat happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?
Top Christian Music Videos
One Lost Coin
Rejoice with me because I have found my lost coin (v.9).
Where’s that brown envelope I left on the kitchen
table?” I asked my daughter. “On the dining
room table,” she said. It wasn’t on that table,
so I began a frantic search throughout the entire house—
from the kitchen to the bedrooms—for the misplaced
envelope. Even the trashcans weren’t spared from the
scrutiny. What was the big fuss over a lost envelope?
Inside were two $1,000 bills.
Many sermons have been preached about the lost
sheep (Luke 15:3-7) and the lost son (vv.11-24). Being
the shortest of the three stories, the lost coin is often
A woman had lost one of her ten silver coins. She lit
“a lamp and [swept] the entire house and [searched]
carefully until she [found] it” (v.8). One silver coin (Greek
drachma) is worth about 30 cents (US) today. Like the
Roman denarius (Matthew 20:2), however, it was the
equivalent of one day’s salary for a common laborer.
The loss of a day of pay would certainly warrant a
deliberate, extraneous, relentless search. So when the
woman recovered her lost coin, she called all her friends
and neighbors together for a party. The recovered coin
had significant value, and now it had been found!
Most of us would sweat the loss of 8 or so hours’ pay.
The woman in the parable did, for she knew the value of
the coin. It was precious to her.
We’re of great value to God—more than we can imagine. He spares no effort
in searching for those who are lost (Luke 15:8-10), and He takes great delight
when He finds us (v.9). Recovering you and me is a source of great joy to Him
Read Luke 19:1. Why would Jesus tell Zacchaeus that “the Son of Man came to seek and save those who arelost”? (v.10). Who are the “lost”?
How does God’s relentless love for you encourage and challenge
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more