Begging the Question?Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?
Top Music Videos
One Lost Coin
Rejoice with me because I have found my lost coin (v.9).
Where’s that brown envelope I left on the kitchen
table?” I asked my daughter. “On the dining
room table,” she said. It wasn’t on that table,
so I began a frantic search throughout the entire house—
from the kitchen to the bedrooms—for the misplaced
envelope. Even the trashcans weren’t spared from the
scrutiny. What was the big fuss over a lost envelope?
Inside were two $1,000 bills.
Many sermons have been preached about the lost
sheep (Luke 15:3-7) and the lost son (vv.11-24). Being
the shortest of the three stories, the lost coin is often
A woman had lost one of her ten silver coins. She lit
“a lamp and [swept] the entire house and [searched]
carefully until she [found] it” (v.8). One silver coin (Greek
drachma) is worth about 30 cents (US) today. Like the
Roman denarius (Matthew 20:2), however, it was the
equivalent of one day’s salary for a common laborer.
The loss of a day of pay would certainly warrant a
deliberate, extraneous, relentless search. So when the
woman recovered her lost coin, she called all her friends
and neighbors together for a party. The recovered coin
had significant value, and now it had been found!
Most of us would sweat the loss of 8 or so hours’ pay.
The woman in the parable did, for she knew the value of
the coin. It was precious to her.
We’re of great value to God—more than we can imagine. He spares no effort
in searching for those who are lost (Luke 15:8-10), and He takes great delight
when He finds us (v.9). Recovering you and me is a source of great joy to Him
Read Luke 19:1. Why would Jesus tell Zacchaeus that “the Son of Man came to seek and save those who arelost”? (v.10). Who are the “lost”?
How does God’s relentless love for you encourage and challenge
- Begging the Question? - Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?...read more
- Fulfilled - Why is it important to view Old Testament laws through the lens of Jesus’ fulfillment of them?...read more
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more