MemorialsHow could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?
Top Music Videos
One Lost Coin
Rejoice with me because I have found my lost coin (v.9).
Where’s that brown envelope I left on the kitchen
table?” I asked my daughter. “On the dining
room table,” she said. It wasn’t on that table,
so I began a frantic search throughout the entire house—
from the kitchen to the bedrooms—for the misplaced
envelope. Even the trashcans weren’t spared from the
scrutiny. What was the big fuss over a lost envelope?
Inside were two $1,000 bills.
Many sermons have been preached about the lost
sheep (Luke 15:3-7) and the lost son (vv.11-24). Being
the shortest of the three stories, the lost coin is often
A woman had lost one of her ten silver coins. She lit
“a lamp and [swept] the entire house and [searched]
carefully until she [found] it” (v.8). One silver coin (Greek
drachma) is worth about 30 cents (US) today. Like the
Roman denarius (Matthew 20:2), however, it was the
equivalent of one day’s salary for a common laborer.
The loss of a day of pay would certainly warrant a
deliberate, extraneous, relentless search. So when the
woman recovered her lost coin, she called all her friends
and neighbors together for a party. The recovered coin
had significant value, and now it had been found!
Most of us would sweat the loss of 8 or so hours’ pay.
The woman in the parable did, for she knew the value of
the coin. It was precious to her.
We’re of great value to God—more than we can imagine. He spares no effort
in searching for those who are lost (Luke 15:8-10), and He takes great delight
when He finds us (v.9). Recovering you and me is a source of great joy to Him
Read Luke 19:1. Why would Jesus tell Zacchaeus that “the Son of Man came to seek and save those who arelost”? (v.10). Who are the “lost”?
How does God’s relentless love for you encourage and challenge
- Memorials - How could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?...read more
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more