WashedIn what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?
Top Music Videos
In September 2008, a court convicted Ryan Mueller of burglary. Due to multiple convictions, Mueller received 6 years in the penitentiary along with 5 years probation. Mueller's latest crime happened in the middle of the night when he crept into a family's home under cover of dark and attempted to steal $20 from a toddler's piggy bank.
I don't know Ryan's story, but I'm guessing that by the time you get to the place where you are lifting kids' piggy banks, stealing has become a way of life.
Jesus spoke of a thief whose nature is "to steal and kill and destroy" and contrasts this thief with Himself, who intends to "give [us] a rich and satisfying life" (John 10:10). Jesus used this metaphor as a distinguishing mark between Himself and all false truths or teachers. "I am the gate for the sheep," Jesus said (v.7). However, "all who came before Me were thieves and robbers" (v.8). In an agrarian society where most everyone had someone in the family who made a living tending sheep, Jesus provided an image with immediate resonance.
Often when shepherds were moving their sheep to better pasture, they would stop for the night in a place where there was a stone (or hedged) wall to protect the sheep. The shepherd would sleep in the entrance. His body became the gate that kept the wooly creatures in and kept the wolves out.
"The good shepherd," Jesus said, "sacriï¬ces his life for the sheep" (v.11). On the other hand, "the wolf attacks . . . and scatters the ï¬‚ock" (v.12).
In John's context, the hero and protagonist are clear. Jesus is the life-giving Shepherd. The ravenous, destructive thief is a false teacher following the lead of Satan. Who is the one we will listen to, the thief or the Good Shepherd? , Winn Collier. Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more