Starting OverHave you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?
Top Music Videos
Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, securely tied, fell into the roaring
Firewalkers fascinate me. These people have a
special something that allows them to look down at
a bed of hot coals, unbuckle their sandals or peel
off their socks, and step right in. Some see it as a rite of
passage, a way to conquer fear, or a way to uncover
some hidden vein of inner strength. Whatever the
reason, something serious is usually at stake.
For Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, the issue was
worship. They braved a personal encounter with fire—
not just walking over hot coals, but entering a blazing
furnace—because they refused to worship a giant totemlike
statue erected by King Nebuchadnezzar (Daniel 3:18).
So, “Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, securely
tied, fell into the roaring flames” (v.23). They should have
been instantly incinerated. However, watching closely,
Nebuchadnezzar exclaimed, “I see four men, unbound,
walking around in the fire unharmed! And the fourth looks
like a god” (v.25).
The king called the three friends out of the oven
(v.26). Amazingly, the fire had not touched the three
men; they didn’t even smell like smoke! This prompted
Nebuchadnezzar to acknowledge the one true God,
saying, “[God] sent His angel to rescue His servants. . . .
There is no other god who can rescue like this” (vv.28-29).
The Bible says, “People are born for trouble as readily
as sparks fly up from a fire” (Job 5:7). Are you in trouble
today? Maybe the flames of difficulty are leading you to a place where your
future is uncertain—maybe your “furnace” is a pending divorce, a serious illness,
or a financial disaster. No matter what it is, God’s presence with you is real. And,
if you continue to trust Him, He can use the outcome for His glory. As a firewalker,
you can bring glory to God.
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Read Isaiah 43:1 to see God’s heart for those who walk through
the fire. Read 1 Peter 1:6 to see the result of steadfast faith that has
been fashioned in the fire of persecution.
Why is it so tempting to wander away from God’s ways? How does God
respond when we return to Him after backsliding?
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more
- Hope Awakening - Do you tend to see the glass as half empty or half full?...read more