Finding RefugeWhat does it mean for God to be your true refuge?
Top Christian Music Videos
1 Timothy 1:1
Cling to your faith in Christ, and keep your conscience clear. For
some people have deliberately violated their consciences; as a result,
their faith has been shipwrecked (v.19).
A man consulted a doctor, “I’ve been misbehaving,
Doc, and my conscience is troubling me,” he
complained. “And you want something that will
strengthen your willpower?” asked the doctor. “Well,
no,” said the fellow. “I was thinking of something that
would weaken my conscience.”
Sometimes we might feel that our conscience is more like
a nuisance than a much-needed guide. When we know
what’s right and what’s wrong, our conscience insists that
we do the right and avoid the wrong. And that may not
always seem expedient or win the world’s applause.
In 1 Timothy, the apostle Paul wrote to instruct his
protégé—who was serving in the great city of Ephesus—
to obediently live out his faith. One of the imperatives he
gave was for Timothy to keep a clear conscience (1:19).
Why was it so important for him to keep a clear
conscience? So that he could cling to his faith in Jesus and
not end up with a shipwrecked faith, Paul explained.
One definition of “faith” is: Forsaking All, I Trust Him.
When we lose our faith in Jesus, instead of clinging to
God we find ourselves grasping for the things of the
world. Life is reduced to merely the physical world. So
we miss out on opportunities to experience the vitality of
a living relationship with God, which comes only by faith
When we shipwreck our faith, like Hymenaeus and
Alexander, we become instruments of evil rather than righteousness. We
undermine God’s teachings and—in the process—defame Him.
When we hear God speaking, we must obey—regardless of what our flesh or
feelings say. That’s the way to keep a clear conscience. If you fail, it’s time for
you to confess, repent, set it straight, and then continue clinging to God by faith.
—Poh Fang Chia
Read 1 Samuel 1:5 to see how your conscience can prevent you from
doing the wrong things. 2 Samuel 2:1 reveals the devastation
that can take place when your conscience is weakened.
How are you striving to maintain a good conscience? What do
you need to bring to God in repentance today?
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more
- Grace that Motivates - How can we avoid the temptation to try and earn God’s approval by doing good deeds?...read more
- Two-Winged Sun - What Scriptures inspire you today?...read more