Timeless GrooveWhat lesser gods are you being tempted to follow?
Top Christian Music Videos
1 Timothy 1:1
Cling to your faith in Christ, and keep your conscience clear. For
some people have deliberately violated their consciences; as a result,
their faith has been shipwrecked (v.19).
A man consulted a doctor, “I’ve been misbehaving,
Doc, and my conscience is troubling me,” he
complained. “And you want something that will
strengthen your willpower?” asked the doctor. “Well,
no,” said the fellow. “I was thinking of something that
would weaken my conscience.”
Sometimes we might feel that our conscience is more like
a nuisance than a much-needed guide. When we know
what’s right and what’s wrong, our conscience insists that
we do the right and avoid the wrong. And that may not
always seem expedient or win the world’s applause.
In 1 Timothy, the apostle Paul wrote to instruct his
protégé—who was serving in the great city of Ephesus—
to obediently live out his faith. One of the imperatives he
gave was for Timothy to keep a clear conscience (1:19).
Why was it so important for him to keep a clear
conscience? So that he could cling to his faith in Jesus and
not end up with a shipwrecked faith, Paul explained.
One definition of “faith” is: Forsaking All, I Trust Him.
When we lose our faith in Jesus, instead of clinging to
God we find ourselves grasping for the things of the
world. Life is reduced to merely the physical world. So
we miss out on opportunities to experience the vitality of
a living relationship with God, which comes only by faith
When we shipwreck our faith, like Hymenaeus and
Alexander, we become instruments of evil rather than righteousness. We
undermine God’s teachings and—in the process—defame Him.
When we hear God speaking, we must obey—regardless of what our flesh or
feelings say. That’s the way to keep a clear conscience. If you fail, it’s time for
you to confess, repent, set it straight, and then continue clinging to God by faith.
—Poh Fang Chia
Read 1 Samuel 1:5 to see how your conscience can prevent you from
doing the wrong things. 2 Samuel 2:1 reveals the devastation
that can take place when your conscience is weakened.
How are you striving to maintain a good conscience? What do
you need to bring to God in repentance today?
- Timeless Groove - What lesser gods are you being tempted to follow?...read more
- Running the Race - How deliberate are you in your spiritual training?...read more
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more