Offering Refuge and HopeHow can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?
Top Music Videos
The Right Thing
It is the right thing for
you to do (v.8).
Gjyste Vjerdha was busy working her nightly,
graveyard-shift cleaning job at a restaurant
with her 22-year-old son, Gentjan. As she
tidied up a restroom, Gjyste found some women’s rings
worth thousands of dollars. The thought of keeping the
treasures might have crossed her mind, but she chose to
do the right thing and take the jewelry to her manager.
Later that day, the rings were returned to a woman who
had accidentally left them in the restroom. Gentjan said,
“You get so many things by hard work; you don’t need to
steal or take from someone else.”
The apostle Paul once made an appeal to his friend
Philemon who had likely experienced some theft by a
man named Onesimus (Philemon 1:18). During a stay
in prison, Onesimus had become a believer in Jesus
through Paul’s ministry (v.10).
Paul wanted Philemon to welcome back this young
man who had once been Philemon’s slave—a pilfering
one at that! The apostle wrote that to warmly receive the
changed man would be “the right thing for you to do”
(v.8). It was right, for Philemon’s forgiveness would reflect
what Jesus Himself had taught and modeled.
As believers in Christ, when we do the right thing, the
word gets around and others can see the beauty of real
faith (v.5). When we’re forgiving, generous (v.6), loving,
and kind (v.10), our actions reveal a right way of living for
Jesus’ sake (v.20).
Today you might come across something that doesn’t belong to you. You might
be confronted with the opportunity to forgive someone who has offended you.
Each moment of your life presents a simple question: Will you do the right thing?
Doing what’s right is a reflection of real faith in Jesus. Choose, for His sake, to
do what you know is right today. —Tom Felten
Keep putting into practice
all you learned and
received from me—
everything you heard
from me and saw me
doing. Then the God of
peace will be with you
What issue are you
wrestling with that’s
calling for you to do
the right thing for Jesus’
sake? Why is it essential
that we strive to do what
is right in this life?
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more
- Beauty of Diversity - Do your relationships reflect the beautiful diversity of the early church?...read more
- Starting Small - Read Philippians 1:6 and consider how God will finish the good work He started in you....read more
- “For God’s Sake!” - What have been your responses to particularly painful moments in life?...read more