God's MasterpieceWhat does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?
Top Christian Music Videos
Born to Die
Now we can rejoice in our wonderful new relationship with God because our Lord Jesus Christ has made us friends of God (v.11).
We’re well into that special time of the year when our focus turns to the celebration of Jesus’ birth (Luke 2:1). The world has never been the same since that sacred night in Bethlehem so many years ago.
Once you get past Jesus’ birth in Bethlehem, however, and press on into the record of His ministry years, the gospel accounts make it clear that Jesus knew He was born to die. He spoke of His death early and often (Mark 8:31; John 2:19).
Sometimes I find myself asking, Why? Why did Jesus have to die, and at the young age of 33? Couldn’t He have accomplished so much more if He had lived a few more decades and died of natural causes?
Imagine all of the diseases and physical impairments Jesus could have healed! Picture the mind-boggling miracles He could have performed. Think of the additional teachings He could have provided and the problems in the world He could have righted if He hadn’t been struck down in the “prime” of His life.
But it wasn’t to be. God had something more in mind. Jesus died when He did so that we wouldn’t have to. He needed to die so that He could rise from the dead and defeat death. He willingly gave His life so that we could be friends with God (Romans 5:8).
As we celebrate and remember the miracle of Jesus’ birth, let’s also remember why He was born to die. We desperately needed Jesus to give His life so that we could live (6:4). The apostle Paul summed it up this way: “Adam’s one sin brings condemnation for everyone, but Christ’s one act of righteousness brings a right relationship with God and new life for everyone” (5:18).
In the face of our own mortality, the apostle Paul wrote that death will be “swallowed up in victory” through the resurrection of Jesus (1 Corinthians 15:54).
How has Jesus’ death and resurrection changed your life? Why is it vital that we often reflect on His death?
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more