View from a DistanceWhy is it easy to lose sight of the future God has promised you?
Top Christian Music Videos
Born to Die
Now we can rejoice in our wonderful new relationship with God because our Lord Jesus Christ has made us friends of God (v.11).
We’re well into that special time of the year when our focus turns to the celebration of Jesus’ birth (Luke 2:1). The world has never been the same since that sacred night in Bethlehem so many years ago.
Once you get past Jesus’ birth in Bethlehem, however, and press on into the record of His ministry years, the gospel accounts make it clear that Jesus knew He was born to die. He spoke of His death early and often (Mark 8:31; John 2:19).
Sometimes I find myself asking, Why? Why did Jesus have to die, and at the young age of 33? Couldn’t He have accomplished so much more if He had lived a few more decades and died of natural causes?
Imagine all of the diseases and physical impairments Jesus could have healed! Picture the mind-boggling miracles He could have performed. Think of the additional teachings He could have provided and the problems in the world He could have righted if He hadn’t been struck down in the “prime” of His life.
But it wasn’t to be. God had something more in mind. Jesus died when He did so that we wouldn’t have to. He needed to die so that He could rise from the dead and defeat death. He willingly gave His life so that we could be friends with God (Romans 5:8).
As we celebrate and remember the miracle of Jesus’ birth, let’s also remember why He was born to die. We desperately needed Jesus to give His life so that we could live (6:4). The apostle Paul summed it up this way: “Adam’s one sin brings condemnation for everyone, but Christ’s one act of righteousness brings a right relationship with God and new life for everyone” (5:18).
In the face of our own mortality, the apostle Paul wrote that death will be “swallowed up in victory” through the resurrection of Jesus (1 Corinthians 15:54).
How has Jesus’ death and resurrection changed your life? Why is it vital that we often reflect on His death?
- View from a Distance - Why is it easy to lose sight of the future God has promised you?...read more
- Based on a True Story - What restoration has God brought to your life?...read more
- New Beginnings - How has God equipped you to follow Him?...read more
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more