Dirty LaundryWhen you need to confront someone, how do you react?
Top Christian Music Videos
When God Ignores
How long, O Lord, must
I call for help? But You
do not listen! (v.2).
Michael felt as if his prayers were simply bouncing
off the ceiling. He couldn’t understand God’s
silence. Day after day he pleaded with Him to
deal with the injustice in his workplace. But evil persisted,
and God seemed absent. Can you identify with Michael?
Habakkuk could. He lived during the final dark days
of Judah—just before the captivity of her people. There
was unrestrained wickedness and violence throughout
the land—and he couldn’t harmonize the prevalence
of evil with the concept of God being good, just, and
sovereign. The prophet cried out, “How long, O Lord,
must I call for help? But You do not listen!” (1:2).
Habakkuk was disturbed with God’s seeming
indifference. “How long?” suggests to us that Habakkuk
had brought his petitions to God over a long period of
time. But God seemed to be ignoring him.
When violence and corruption abound and evil
appears to rule, we may also wonder whether God
really cares or if He is really in control. Habakkuk’s
honest dialogue with God helps us understand that we
can come to God in prayer with our difficult questions.
Habakkuk had been doubting. But he turned to God
in the midst of his confusion and sought God’s wisdom
and counsel. This is what God calls each of us to do
when we’re confused or when we’re wrestling with
tough questions. In fact, honest questions reflect a better
relationship with God than superficial, outward, religious behavior.
The result of Habakkuk’s search is astounding. The prophet we meet at the
end of the book is not the same one we find at the beginning. He starts with
questions, and he ends with praise (3:17-19). His struggle produced spiritual
growth. So will your struggles when you seek God’s face in complete honesty
and truth. —Poh Fang Chia
As for me, I will sing
about Your power. Each
morning I will sing with
joy about Your unfailing
love. For You have been
my refuge, a place of
safety when I am in
distress (Psalm 59:16).
What are some doubts
you need to take to God?
What happens when we
deny the struggles we’re
facing and don’t bring
them to Him?
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more