Genuine LoveHow have you experienced the reality of God’s love?
Top Music Videos
When God Ignores
How long, O Lord, must
I call for help? But You
do not listen! (v.2).
Michael felt as if his prayers were simply bouncing
off the ceiling. He couldn’t understand God’s
silence. Day after day he pleaded with Him to
deal with the injustice in his workplace. But evil persisted,
and God seemed absent. Can you identify with Michael?
Habakkuk could. He lived during the final dark days
of Judah—just before the captivity of her people. There
was unrestrained wickedness and violence throughout
the land—and he couldn’t harmonize the prevalence
of evil with the concept of God being good, just, and
sovereign. The prophet cried out, “How long, O Lord,
must I call for help? But You do not listen!” (1:2).
Habakkuk was disturbed with God’s seeming
indifference. “How long?” suggests to us that Habakkuk
had brought his petitions to God over a long period of
time. But God seemed to be ignoring him.
When violence and corruption abound and evil
appears to rule, we may also wonder whether God
really cares or if He is really in control. Habakkuk’s
honest dialogue with God helps us understand that we
can come to God in prayer with our difficult questions.
Habakkuk had been doubting. But he turned to God
in the midst of his confusion and sought God’s wisdom
and counsel. This is what God calls each of us to do
when we’re confused or when we’re wrestling with
tough questions. In fact, honest questions reflect a better
relationship with God than superficial, outward, religious behavior.
The result of Habakkuk’s search is astounding. The prophet we meet at the
end of the book is not the same one we find at the beginning. He starts with
questions, and he ends with praise (3:17-19). His struggle produced spiritual
growth. So will your struggles when you seek God’s face in complete honesty
and truth. —Poh Fang Chia
As for me, I will sing
about Your power. Each
morning I will sing with
joy about Your unfailing
love. For You have been
my refuge, a place of
safety when I am in
distress (Psalm 59:16).
What are some doubts
you need to take to God?
What happens when we
deny the struggles we’re
facing and don’t bring
them to Him?
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more
- Hope Awakening - Do you tend to see the glass as half empty or half full?...read more
- Life and Loss - Where are you going with your pain?...read more