Finding RefugeWhat does it mean for God to be your true refuge?
Top Christian Music Videos
Don't Be Cruel
Jeremiah 27:1 This is what the Lord says: “Do not listen
to your prophets who claim that soon the gold articles taken from my
Temple will be returned from Babylon. It is all a lie! Do not listen to them”
Have you noticed how difficult it is for elected
officials to break bad news to their citizens?
Numerous countries are drowning in debt, yet
most leaders refuse to raise taxes or cut benefits. Figuring
that bankruptcy will be the next government’s problem,
they happily kick the crisis down the road.
These leaders act like the false prophets in Jerusalem.
God had punished Israel’s idolatry by sending
Nebuchadnezzar to plunder the city and carry off her
best and brightest into captivity. Jeremiah told God’s
people that He wanted them to submit to Babylon for the
foreseeable future, and that after a while He would bring
them “back to Jerusalem again” (Jeremiah 27:22).
This struck many citizens as overly pessimistic, and
false prophets such as Hananiah declared that God
would intervene and destroy Babylon within two years
(28:10-11). Then it was God’s turn to be exasperated. He
told Jeremiah to inform Hananiah that he would die, for
his lies had cruelly filled the beaten-down Israelites with
false hope (vv.15-16).
Giving a thumbs-up when we know better is the worst
kind of mean. We must not encourage friends who
are struggling with sin to simply grit their teeth and
try harder, for they can simply beat it. If they rely on
themselves rather than God, they’ll end up back where
they started—drowning their sorrows in their addictions.
We must also never assure people that regardless of whom they trust or how
they live, a loving God will take them and everyone to heaven. It may seem
harsh to warn people about hell, but if you believe that hell is real, it would be
unspeakably cruel not to tell them. We humbly share bad news, not because
it’s fun but because it’s the first step toward hope.
Read Matthew 23:1 and consider how Jesus’ tough words for the
religious leaders were a sign of His love.
What bad news, either about yourself or others, have you been ignoring
because it seems too painful to confront? What steps can you take
to face your problem and begin the journey to wellness by God’s
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more
- Grace that Motivates - How can we avoid the temptation to try and earn God’s approval by doing good deeds?...read more
- Two-Winged Sun - What Scriptures inspire you today?...read more