Rejoicing in Deep NeedWhat happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?
Top Christian Music Videos
Love your neighbor as yourself (v.31).
Early in 2011, a US baseball coach made the best
call of his career. Tom Walter, the coach of the
Wake Forest University baseball team, chose to
give up one of his kidneys so that one of his players
could live. A freshman player, Kevin Jordan, had been
stricken with a disease that attacked his kidneys and left
them functioning at just 8 percent. None of his family
members was a donor match for a kidney transplant, but
Coach Walter was! “When we recruit our guys, we talk
about family and making sacrifices for one another. It is
something we take very seriously . . . . To me, it was a
no-brainer,” he said. Good call, Coach!
Selfless giving is something that should mark the lives
of true believers in Jesus. As John the Baptist prepared
the way for the Savior, he preached, “If you have two
shirts, give one to the poor. If you have food, share it
with those who are hungry” (Luke 3:11). The prophet
taught that selfless giving is part of God’s plan for His
people. If you have two healthy kidneys, give one to
someone who has none.
Jesus would later teach about what it means to truly
love and sacrifice for our neighbors. He said, “Love your
neighbor as yourself” (Mark 12:31-34). And just prior to
stating this command, He revealed the “most important”
one: “You must love the Lord your God with all your
heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength”
(vv.29-30). Note, however, that He also said loving our neighbors is “equally
The way we love others is a direct reflection of our love for God. When we
choose to selflessly give to another, we reflect the most selfless act of all time—
Jesus’ death that we might be saved and that we might live (John 15:13).
When others need you, make the right call.
James, Jesus’ brother, nailed the importance of not simply feeling a
person’s need but also doing something about it. Check it out in
What is God asking you to selflessly sacrifice for someone today? Why is
showing love for others through giving such an important thing to God?
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more