Powerful PatienceHow can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?
Top Music Videos
In The Call to Joy and Pain, Ajith Fernando writes: "Ministry in Sri Lanka can be quite frustrating. We work hard at planning an event and find that a curfew is announced just before the event is held. . . . Sometimes this frustration becomes so hard to bear that [the workers] leave the country, saying they cannot do the work they are called to do because of the prevailing situations. . . . They are unable to make themselves vulnerable to feelings of frustration and pain. So they leave the situation." Pain avoidance. That's an instinctive reaction for all us. So is Paul being masochistic when he says, " I am glad when I suffer"? (Colossians 1:24). Definitely not. Paul is not advocating that we should seek pain and suffering. Rather, he recognizes that the way of the cross, following Jesus, includes hardships, and that "here on earth [we] will have many trials and sorrows" (John 16:33).
Paul rejoiced that he could participate in the sufferings of Christ and also that he could suffer for the sake of the church. Bible commentator Peter O'Brien points out that experiencing the power of Christ's resurrection and sharing in His sufferings are aspects of knowing Jesus. If we desire to experience greater intimacy with Christ, and we know that suffering will deepen our intimacy, then the effects of our hardships will lose their sting. And when we realize that Jesus is using our sufferings to build and purify His church, we'll see beyond the temporary and gaze upon the final victory.
With these perspectives in place, we can "tell others about Christ, warning everyone and teaching everyone with all the wisdom God has given us" (Colossians 1:28). Let's "work and struggle . . . depending on Christ's mighty power that works within [us]" (v.29). , Poh Fang Chia, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more
- Broken Down & Built Up - What might God be accomplishing in your life through a recent difficult experience?...read more