Staying TrueOur ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze.
Top Christian Music Videos
Angel In The Doorway
Don’t forget to show hospitality to strangers, for some who have done
this have entertained angels without realizing it! (Hebrews 13:2).
He stood in the doorway with a toothy grin and
an evident social awkwardness. My friend, lying
in his hospital bed after having endured major
surgery, deftly shooed the visitor away with one-word
answers and obvious disinterest. Tom (the visitor) was
also a patient. His background and behavior were rough
and unpolished. A local mission was his most recent
address. In time, however, my friend warmed up and
showed Tom some hospitality. But it wasn’t until later that
it struck him: Tom might have been an angel. It humbled
my friend to realize that he had nearly spurned what
might have been a gift of comfort from God.
You never know who might show up in your doorway
or for dinner. Abraham once saw the Lord and two
angels heading toward his tent (Genesis 18:1-3). His
immediate response? Sarah, it’s time to whip together
your finest feast, for we have some VIPs that deserve a
heaping portion of hospitality! (vv.5-8).
For Abraham, it became increasingly clear that he was
entertaining angels (and the Lord). The aged patriarch
was surprised to learn from the Lord that he would
be a daddy—made possible by God’s divine power
Taking Abraham’s example of being hospitable and
compassionate to the next level, Jesus said, “I was a
stranger, and you invited Me into your home. . . . I was
sick, and you cared for Me. I was in prison, and you visited Me” (Matthew
25:35-36). Driving it home, He proclaimed, “[What] you did . . . to one of the
least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to Me!” (v.40).
Remember, when you show kindness to that awkward person or give selflessly
to those in need, you just might be entertaining angels—perhaps even the Lord
In Luke 14:12, Jesus tells the host of a dinner (and us) what type
of people should be shown hospitality. Note what God will do for
those who follow Jesus’ instruction.
How does it alter your view of others, when you realize that they might
be angels? How will you help someone today?
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more
- When We See Jesus - Do you long to see Jesus?...read more