Sound SensitiveJust as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day.
Top Music Videos
Angel In The Doorway
Don’t forget to show hospitality to strangers, for some who have done
this have entertained angels without realizing it! (Hebrews 13:2).
He stood in the doorway with a toothy grin and
an evident social awkwardness. My friend, lying
in his hospital bed after having endured major
surgery, deftly shooed the visitor away with one-word
answers and obvious disinterest. Tom (the visitor) was
also a patient. His background and behavior were rough
and unpolished. A local mission was his most recent
address. In time, however, my friend warmed up and
showed Tom some hospitality. But it wasn’t until later that
it struck him: Tom might have been an angel. It humbled
my friend to realize that he had nearly spurned what
might have been a gift of comfort from God.
You never know who might show up in your doorway
or for dinner. Abraham once saw the Lord and two
angels heading toward his tent (Genesis 18:1-3). His
immediate response? Sarah, it’s time to whip together
your finest feast, for we have some VIPs that deserve a
heaping portion of hospitality! (vv.5-8).
For Abraham, it became increasingly clear that he was
entertaining angels (and the Lord). The aged patriarch
was surprised to learn from the Lord that he would
be a daddy—made possible by God’s divine power
Taking Abraham’s example of being hospitable and
compassionate to the next level, Jesus said, “I was a
stranger, and you invited Me into your home. . . . I was
sick, and you cared for Me. I was in prison, and you visited Me” (Matthew
25:35-36). Driving it home, He proclaimed, “[What] you did . . . to one of the
least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to Me!” (v.40).
Remember, when you show kindness to that awkward person or give selflessly
to those in need, you just might be entertaining angels—perhaps even the Lord
In Luke 14:12, Jesus tells the host of a dinner (and us) what type
of people should be shown hospitality. Note what God will do for
those who follow Jesus’ instruction.
How does it alter your view of others, when you realize that they might
be angels? How will you help someone today?
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more