After 35What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?
Top Music Videos
Angel In The Doorway
Don’t forget to show hospitality to strangers, for some who have done
this have entertained angels without realizing it! (Hebrews 13:2).
He stood in the doorway with a toothy grin and
an evident social awkwardness. My friend, lying
in his hospital bed after having endured major
surgery, deftly shooed the visitor away with one-word
answers and obvious disinterest. Tom (the visitor) was
also a patient. His background and behavior were rough
and unpolished. A local mission was his most recent
address. In time, however, my friend warmed up and
showed Tom some hospitality. But it wasn’t until later that
it struck him: Tom might have been an angel. It humbled
my friend to realize that he had nearly spurned what
might have been a gift of comfort from God.
You never know who might show up in your doorway
or for dinner. Abraham once saw the Lord and two
angels heading toward his tent (Genesis 18:1-3). His
immediate response? Sarah, it’s time to whip together
your finest feast, for we have some VIPs that deserve a
heaping portion of hospitality! (vv.5-8).
For Abraham, it became increasingly clear that he was
entertaining angels (and the Lord). The aged patriarch
was surprised to learn from the Lord that he would
be a daddy—made possible by God’s divine power
Taking Abraham’s example of being hospitable and
compassionate to the next level, Jesus said, “I was a
stranger, and you invited Me into your home. . . . I was
sick, and you cared for Me. I was in prison, and you visited Me” (Matthew
25:35-36). Driving it home, He proclaimed, “[What] you did . . . to one of the
least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to Me!” (v.40).
Remember, when you show kindness to that awkward person or give selflessly
to those in need, you just might be entertaining angels—perhaps even the Lord
In Luke 14:12, Jesus tells the host of a dinner (and us) what type
of people should be shown hospitality. Note what God will do for
those who follow Jesus’ instruction.
How does it alter your view of others, when you realize that they might
be angels? How will you help someone today?
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more
- The Art of Joy - What has hindered you from experiencing joy this week?...read more
- What a Friend! - What does it mean to you to have a friend in Jesus?...read more