"Brutiful"How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?
Top Music Videos
Angel In The Doorway
Don’t forget to show hospitality to strangers, for some who have done
this have entertained angels without realizing it! (Hebrews 13:2).
He stood in the doorway with a toothy grin and
an evident social awkwardness. My friend, lying
in his hospital bed after having endured major
surgery, deftly shooed the visitor away with one-word
answers and obvious disinterest. Tom (the visitor) was
also a patient. His background and behavior were rough
and unpolished. A local mission was his most recent
address. In time, however, my friend warmed up and
showed Tom some hospitality. But it wasn’t until later that
it struck him: Tom might have been an angel. It humbled
my friend to realize that he had nearly spurned what
might have been a gift of comfort from God.
You never know who might show up in your doorway
or for dinner. Abraham once saw the Lord and two
angels heading toward his tent (Genesis 18:1-3). His
immediate response? Sarah, it’s time to whip together
your finest feast, for we have some VIPs that deserve a
heaping portion of hospitality! (vv.5-8).
For Abraham, it became increasingly clear that he was
entertaining angels (and the Lord). The aged patriarch
was surprised to learn from the Lord that he would
be a daddy—made possible by God’s divine power
Taking Abraham’s example of being hospitable and
compassionate to the next level, Jesus said, “I was a
stranger, and you invited Me into your home. . . . I was
sick, and you cared for Me. I was in prison, and you visited Me” (Matthew
25:35-36). Driving it home, He proclaimed, “[What] you did . . . to one of the
least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to Me!” (v.40).
Remember, when you show kindness to that awkward person or give selflessly
to those in need, you just might be entertaining angels—perhaps even the Lord
In Luke 14:12, Jesus tells the host of a dinner (and us) what type
of people should be shown hospitality. Note what God will do for
those who follow Jesus’ instruction.
How does it alter your view of others, when you realize that they might
be angels? How will you help someone today?
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more