Fireworks and MercyHow does it make you feel to know that God understands your human frailty and has mercy on you?
Top Christian Music Videos
1 Samuel 17:17
David persisted. . . . The Lord who rescued me from the claws of the lion
and the bear will rescue me from this Philistine! (vv.34,37).
The film October Sky tells the remarkable story
of a teenage boy’s dream to build rockets. After
watching Sputnik, the first earth-orbiting artificial
satellite, race across the night sky in 1957, a deep
desire was ignited within Homer Hickam to make rockets
and become a part of NASA’s space program.
The problem was that nearly everything in Homer’s
life was set against his dream. He lived in a tiny
West Virginia coal mining town that offered him few
opportunities. His friends thought he was nuts. And his
father, who pressured his son to become a miner, did
everything he could to make sure his desires flamed
out. But Homer persevered. He fought through the stiff
opposition and eventually realized his dream.
Homer Hickam’s story reminds me of the teenage
shepherd boy David. Jesse, David’s father, had sent him
out to check on the welfare of his brothers who were
fighting on the front lines against the Philistines (1 Samuel
17:17-19). As David talked with his brothers, the Philistine
giant Goliath stepped out and challenged any Israelite
who had the guts to come out and fight him (v.23).
After learning that Goliath had been taunting Israel
for 40 days, a desire to fight the giant sprang up in
David. When he made it known that he had heard
enough defiant words from the Philistine (v.26), David
was confronted by his brother Eliab. Afraid that his little
brother would show him up, he accused David of coming only to watch the
combat (v.28). But David persevered and withstood the opposition (vv.29-30).
He knew God had called and prepared him to fight this epic battle (vv.34-37).
Don’t let others force you into compromising the person you know God has
called you to be. Like David and Homer, fight through the opposition—and
persevere! —Jeff Olson
Read Job 17:9 to learn what people do who are truly persevering in God.
What opposition are you facing in becoming the person you were meant
to be? How are you persevering in Jesus?
- Fireworks and Mercy - How does it make you feel to know that God understands your human frailty and has mercy on you?...read more
- Happy at You - Do you know deep down that God loves you dearly?...read more
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more