Stinging WordsHow have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?
Top Music Videos
1 Samuel 17:17
David persisted. . . . The Lord who rescued me from the claws of the lion
and the bear will rescue me from this Philistine! (vv.34,37).
The film October Sky tells the remarkable story
of a teenage boy’s dream to build rockets. After
watching Sputnik, the first earth-orbiting artificial
satellite, race across the night sky in 1957, a deep
desire was ignited within Homer Hickam to make rockets
and become a part of NASA’s space program.
The problem was that nearly everything in Homer’s
life was set against his dream. He lived in a tiny
West Virginia coal mining town that offered him few
opportunities. His friends thought he was nuts. And his
father, who pressured his son to become a miner, did
everything he could to make sure his desires flamed
out. But Homer persevered. He fought through the stiff
opposition and eventually realized his dream.
Homer Hickam’s story reminds me of the teenage
shepherd boy David. Jesse, David’s father, had sent him
out to check on the welfare of his brothers who were
fighting on the front lines against the Philistines (1 Samuel
17:17-19). As David talked with his brothers, the Philistine
giant Goliath stepped out and challenged any Israelite
who had the guts to come out and fight him (v.23).
After learning that Goliath had been taunting Israel
for 40 days, a desire to fight the giant sprang up in
David. When he made it known that he had heard
enough defiant words from the Philistine (v.26), David
was confronted by his brother Eliab. Afraid that his little
brother would show him up, he accused David of coming only to watch the
combat (v.28). But David persevered and withstood the opposition (vv.29-30).
He knew God had called and prepared him to fight this epic battle (vv.34-37).
Don’t let others force you into compromising the person you know God has
called you to be. Like David and Homer, fight through the opposition—and
persevere! —Jeff Olson
Read Job 17:9 to learn what people do who are truly persevering in God.
What opposition are you facing in becoming the person you were meant
to be? How are you persevering in Jesus?
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more
- Time for Tea! - What situations frustrate you?...read more