Kindness and HospitalityHow are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?
Top Christian Music Videos
1 Samuel 17:17
David persisted. . . . The Lord who rescued me from the claws of the lion
and the bear will rescue me from this Philistine! (vv.34,37).
The film October Sky tells the remarkable story
of a teenage boy’s dream to build rockets. After
watching Sputnik, the first earth-orbiting artificial
satellite, race across the night sky in 1957, a deep
desire was ignited within Homer Hickam to make rockets
and become a part of NASA’s space program.
The problem was that nearly everything in Homer’s
life was set against his dream. He lived in a tiny
West Virginia coal mining town that offered him few
opportunities. His friends thought he was nuts. And his
father, who pressured his son to become a miner, did
everything he could to make sure his desires flamed
out. But Homer persevered. He fought through the stiff
opposition and eventually realized his dream.
Homer Hickam’s story reminds me of the teenage
shepherd boy David. Jesse, David’s father, had sent him
out to check on the welfare of his brothers who were
fighting on the front lines against the Philistines (1 Samuel
17:17-19). As David talked with his brothers, the Philistine
giant Goliath stepped out and challenged any Israelite
who had the guts to come out and fight him (v.23).
After learning that Goliath had been taunting Israel
for 40 days, a desire to fight the giant sprang up in
David. When he made it known that he had heard
enough defiant words from the Philistine (v.26), David
was confronted by his brother Eliab. Afraid that his little
brother would show him up, he accused David of coming only to watch the
combat (v.28). But David persevered and withstood the opposition (vv.29-30).
He knew God had called and prepared him to fight this epic battle (vv.34-37).
Don’t let others force you into compromising the person you know God has
called you to be. Like David and Homer, fight through the opposition—and
persevere! —Jeff Olson
Read Job 17:9 to learn what people do who are truly persevering in God.
What opposition are you facing in becoming the person you were meant
to be? How are you persevering in Jesus?
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more