Connecting the DotsWhat good work is God doing in your life?
Top Music Videos
1 Corinthians 1:1
Now we see things imperfectly as in a
cloudy mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity
Mom, turn the mirror so I can see better.” Riding
behind me in the car, my son asked me to set
the rearview mirror so he could see himself in
it. When my adjustments did not allow him a full view of
himself, he asked me to try again. After several attempts,
I explained that the mirror was designed for my use as
the driver (and not for his as the passenger). Satisfied
that I had tried, he sat contentedly while looking out the
window. As I turned my attention back to the road, I
reflected on our exchange.
In life, we want to be able to see our situations in the
same way that God does. He allows us to “have the
mind of Christ” (1 Corinthians 2:16) and to adjust our
view to see life based on His heart. But we aren’t content
simply to know His attitude. We want His omniscience—
to be all-knowing as He is. Just as a rearview mirror
isn’t for the passenger’s use, we weren’t made to know
everything. After all, we’re not the driver.
While we live on earth, our view will always be
limited. It’s part of our fallen nature. Eve’s desire for
knowledge brought her—and all of humanity—into
darkness, not the light of revelation (Genesis 3:5-7). So
why does the apostle Paul place a reminder about our
limited vision at the end of his exhortation on the true
nature of love in 1 Corinthians 13? (v.12). He reminds us
that in the most stringent limitations of human frailty—a humanity on which God
has bestowed precious gifts (2 Corinthians 4:7)—love takes us beyond our base
responses rooted in self-preservation.
It helps us see clearly the true security we have in Jesus.
Read James 3:13 to see the connection between selflessness
and God’s provision for our future decisions and needs.
In what situation have you been trying to see things from the driver’s
seat instead of the passenger’s perspective? How does God’s love
keep you at peace?
- Connecting the Dots - What good work is God doing in your life?...read more
- Responding to Suffering - How do you feel when your life is interrupted by suffering and adversity?...read more
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more