VictoryWhat battles are you facing these days?
Top Music Videos
1 Corinthians 1:1
Now we see things imperfectly as in a
cloudy mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity
Mom, turn the mirror so I can see better.” Riding
behind me in the car, my son asked me to set
the rearview mirror so he could see himself in
it. When my adjustments did not allow him a full view of
himself, he asked me to try again. After several attempts,
I explained that the mirror was designed for my use as
the driver (and not for his as the passenger). Satisfied
that I had tried, he sat contentedly while looking out the
window. As I turned my attention back to the road, I
reflected on our exchange.
In life, we want to be able to see our situations in the
same way that God does. He allows us to “have the
mind of Christ” (1 Corinthians 2:16) and to adjust our
view to see life based on His heart. But we aren’t content
simply to know His attitude. We want His omniscience—
to be all-knowing as He is. Just as a rearview mirror
isn’t for the passenger’s use, we weren’t made to know
everything. After all, we’re not the driver.
While we live on earth, our view will always be
limited. It’s part of our fallen nature. Eve’s desire for
knowledge brought her—and all of humanity—into
darkness, not the light of revelation (Genesis 3:5-7). So
why does the apostle Paul place a reminder about our
limited vision at the end of his exhortation on the true
nature of love in 1 Corinthians 13? (v.12). He reminds us
that in the most stringent limitations of human frailty—a humanity on which God
has bestowed precious gifts (2 Corinthians 4:7)—love takes us beyond our base
responses rooted in self-preservation.
It helps us see clearly the true security we have in Jesus.
Read James 3:13 to see the connection between selflessness
and God’s provision for our future decisions and needs.
In what situation have you been trying to see things from the driver’s
seat instead of the passenger’s perspective? How does God’s love
keep you at peace?
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more