God's MasterpieceWhat does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?
Top Christian Music Videos
1 Corinthians 1:1
Now we see things imperfectly as in a
cloudy mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity
Mom, turn the mirror so I can see better.” Riding
behind me in the car, my son asked me to set
the rearview mirror so he could see himself in
it. When my adjustments did not allow him a full view of
himself, he asked me to try again. After several attempts,
I explained that the mirror was designed for my use as
the driver (and not for his as the passenger). Satisfied
that I had tried, he sat contentedly while looking out the
window. As I turned my attention back to the road, I
reflected on our exchange.
In life, we want to be able to see our situations in the
same way that God does. He allows us to “have the
mind of Christ” (1 Corinthians 2:16) and to adjust our
view to see life based on His heart. But we aren’t content
simply to know His attitude. We want His omniscience—
to be all-knowing as He is. Just as a rearview mirror
isn’t for the passenger’s use, we weren’t made to know
everything. After all, we’re not the driver.
While we live on earth, our view will always be
limited. It’s part of our fallen nature. Eve’s desire for
knowledge brought her—and all of humanity—into
darkness, not the light of revelation (Genesis 3:5-7). So
why does the apostle Paul place a reminder about our
limited vision at the end of his exhortation on the true
nature of love in 1 Corinthians 13? (v.12). He reminds us
that in the most stringent limitations of human frailty—a humanity on which God
has bestowed precious gifts (2 Corinthians 4:7)—love takes us beyond our base
responses rooted in self-preservation.
It helps us see clearly the true security we have in Jesus.
Read James 3:13 to see the connection between selflessness
and God’s provision for our future decisions and needs.
In what situation have you been trying to see things from the driver’s
seat instead of the passenger’s perspective? How does God’s love
keep you at peace?
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more