Sound SensitiveJust as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day.
Top Music Videos
In the 1930s, Spain endured a civil war when General Francisco Franco joined a coup to unseat Spain's leftist Popular Front. While 500,000 died in the conflict, another 114,000 simply "disappeared" in the first years of Franco's rule. When Franco died in 1975, no one was initially willing to investigate this dark history. After years of the victims' families pressing for answers, however, Judge Baltasar Garzon ordered a criminal investigation to begin in 2008, including opening 19 unmarked mass graves. The process, though gruesome and unsettling, will be necessary for Spain's healing.
In the first of many gruesome accounts recorded in Scripture, Cain murdered his brother Abel because of his jealousy over God's positive response to Abel's sacrifice (Genesis 4). Cain lured his brother out of their house and into one of their family's fields. Once he had his brother alone, his seething anger erupted and "Cain attacked his brother, Abel, and killed him" (v.8).
He knew he was guilty, but when God confronted him about the whereabouts of Abel, Cain played dumb. "I don't know . . . . Am I my brother's guardian?" (v.9). God, however, would not leave him alone, pressing further: "What have you done? Listen! Your brother's blood cries out to Me from the ground!" (v.10).
In the end, Cain had no choice. God forced him to own up to his evil actions. And once Cain faced his sin, he lamented that he would be removed from God's presence.
Though many of us expend a great deal of effort attempting to cover our sin and hide our guilty secrets, it only exacerbates our shame. Our hope depends on a deep healing, and healing can only happen if we open ourselves to this deep work. We must come clean, acknowledging our failures and desperation to God. For to be healed for our future, we must be honest about our past. , Winn Collier, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more